By: Moses Navgire, IndiaFM
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Don or Jaan-E-Mann? Which one will be the bigger? Which one will be the better? Which one will do better business at the Box Office? Which one will give paisa-vasool entertainment? Will the audiences accept a remake or will the romantic tale steal the show. These are the questions doing the rounds in media. Everyone connected to the industry in someway or the other is waiting for the answers to these questions. But we at IndiaFM thought of looking at Don versus Jaan-E-Mann through a different perspective. If we leave the whole trade business aside, the two films, Don and Jaan-E-Mann have some interesting similarities and differences. The two films also happen to have some weird connections. So, let's find out how the two big releases of this Diwali are connected with one another.
- The first major difference that you'll notice between Don and Jaan-E-Mann is the role reversal. Astonishingly, Shah Rukh who is known as the biggest romantic star of Bollywood will be seen in hardcore action flick this season and on the other hand, Akshay Kumar, who can safely be called as the best action hero of Bollywood till date will be seen in a super-romantic drama. Though he has done few romantic films before, not many of his romantic flicks made a mark. So, Akshay in Jaan-E-Mann is something we can look forward at.
- The locations of the film, too, depend upon the story of the film. Now, since Don is about crime and criminal and is loaded with action scenes, the location of the film is Malaysia. Places like this would mainly be associated with Akshay's action flicks. On the other hand, Akshay Kumar and Salman Khan have moved to New York. The city which has been SRK's hub for past couple of romantic films (Kal Ho Naa Ho and KANK). Therefore, interestingly, the look of Don is an Akshay Kumar's power-packed flick while Jaan-E-Mann looks like Shah Rukh's romantic tale.
- Incidentally, Ritesh Sidhwani/Farhan Akhtar and Sajid Nadiawala, the producers of both the films, had their last releases in the year 2004. Ritesh-Farhan's Lakshya came out on June 18, 2004 while Sajid Nadiawala's Mujhse Shaadi Karogi released on July 30, 2004. Hence, both the producers will be releasing their films after a period of two years.
- Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy have done the music for Don while Anu Malik has composed the scores of Jaan-E-Mann. Interestingly, the producers, Ritesh/Farhan and Sajid Nadiadwala have always trusted upon SEL and Anu Malik respectively for the music of their films till date.
- Another major co incidence is that there has been an exchange of lead actress this time. Priyanka Chopra was the lead actress in Sajid Nadiawala's Mujhse Shaadi Karogi but this time she stars in Farhan Akhtar's Don. On the other side, Preity Zinta was the lead actress in Farhan Akhtar's Lakshya but this time, she is the leading lady in Nadiadwala's Jaan-E-Mann. Ironically, in Jaan-E-Mann, the two male protagonists Akshay and Salman try to score over the leading lady Preity Zinta, while in Don, the lead actresses Priyanka Chopra and Isha Koppikar try to get the male protagonist Shah Rukh Khan on their side.
- As far as co-incidences goes, the same release date is not the only one. There are many other factors that coincide between Don and Jaan-E-Mann. The major one is that Shirish Kunder, the writer-director of Jaan-E-Mann was the editor of Shah Rukh Khan's Main Hoon Na in 2004. And this year his film is competing against a SRK starrer. However, if we jump on the other side; we notice that Don is co-written by Salim Khan who is father of Salman Khan.
- As far as trade goes this will be second time that Akshay Kumar's film will be clashing with a SRK starrer. In 2004, Akshay's Aitraaz and Shah Rukh's Veer Zaara released on the same day. Besides, Diwali has mainly been the period of SRK's romantic films but for the past two consecutive years, Akshay Kumar has taken up the Diwali slot and delivered big hits (Aitraaz and Garam Masala).
- Coming to the promotional look of the two films, the whole Green and Black combination in the Don reminds of The Matrix while the look of Jaan-E-Mann is completely Moulin Rouge inspired.
- Releasing the theatricals of the upcoming releases has now become a trend. So, get set as you will be getting a glimpse of some of the upcoming releases before the show starts. Where the trailer of Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd. will be played before Don you will see the promo of Bhagam Bhag with Jaan-E-Mann.
- Despite so many differences and co-incidences, the two competitive films of this Diwali also have some common factors. One person who is common for both the films is Farah Khan. Farhan Akhtar is her first cousin while Shirish, as we know, is her husband. Farah has choreographed some of the songs of Don while managed the complete choreography of Jaan-E-Maan. Another of course, would be that the audio of both the films is available on T-Series.
Now that's some connection! With the festival of Diwali coming up this season, Farhan Akhtar and Shirish Kunder have given us yet another reason to celebrate this festive season. Besides, the junta looks equally excited for both the films. Therefore, we can expect the crowds gushing into the cinema halls for both Don and Jaan-E-Mann. So, book your tickets now and get ready to celebrate this Diwali with Don and Jaan-E-Mann.