She was called the Chinese doll! With her droop of curl dropping on her face, combined with an anguish-laden voice, Meena Kumari was the epitome of uncontrollable tragedy. This unblemished beauty made Meena Kumari the ultimate tragedy queen in Indian Cinema.
All her life, Meena Kumari carried an image of a sorrowful lonely woman whose desires remained suppressed by the cruel world. Meena Kumari aka Mehajabeen Bano starred in more than ninety films in a 30 year span from her childhood to her death.
If you think you don't know enough of this beautiful talented actress, listed below are few unknown facts about Meena Kumari.
1) Meena Kumari's father Ali Baksh left her at a Muslim orphanage since they were unable to pay the fees of Dr Gadre, who had delivered her. However, he picked her up after a few hours.
2) Meena Kumari almost drowned while shooting for Baiju Bawara.
3) Pakeezah took 14 long years to complete. It's said that since Meena Kumari could not do the dance numbers because of her age, Director Kamal Amrohi brought in Padma Khanna who danced to the number. Her face was covered with Ghunghat throughout.
4) Meena Kumari's mother was a Hindu and her original name was Prabhavati Devi. After marriage, she converted from Hinduism to Islam, and changed her name to Iqbal Begum.
5) Though Mahjabeen wanted to study, the financial status of her family compelled her to act in Hindi movies as a child artiste. She was the bread winner of her family.
Click on the slider below to view rare and unseen pictures of Meena Kumari.