Monday, November 27, 2006
UNI: For Shahrukh Khan, hosting the new edition of the show, which redefined the concept of game shows in the country and turned Amitabh Bachchan into a household name, is yet another opportunity to step into the shoes of the Big B after Farhan Akhtar's Don where he essayed the role played by Mr Bachchan in the original version released in 1980.
''I was pleasantly surprised when Star offered me the show. I was a participant in season one of KBC...and little did I know one day I would be hosting it. It is a huge act to follow, that of Mr. Bachchan,'' Shahrukh said.
Neverthless Shahrukh looks forward to this opportunity to host the biggest game show in India.
''It also excites me that I am getting an opportunity to reach out...talk and interact with my audience through a medium where I began my career as an actor years ago.
So here's looking forward to coming round a full circle...guess unlock kiya jaaye,''he said.
Producers of the famous show feel that Shahrukh, with his "inescapable charm and wit", will add an altogether new dimension to the show besides bringing in more viewers.
Says Siddhartha Basu of Synergy Communications, the company that succesfully adapted the concept of the show 'Who Wants to be a Millionare' to Indian television, ''KBC with SRK will bring a whole new set of audience to Star Plus.
Although I have been associated with KBC ever since it began, this is literally a new beginning for me. SRK's wit, energy, excitement and enthusiasm will rub-off onto all of us and together as a team we hope to create some magical moments on television.'' The launching of the new edition of KBC comes almost an year after the show's second season - 'KBC Dwitiya' was pulled off air following Mr Bachchan's illness in November last year and the bank of episodes were exhausted.
Though the exact date of telecast of the new edition of the KBC has not yet been decided and will be formally announced by Star in the first week of December, channel sources said the new season of the show was expected to be on air by January-end.
''Shooting for the episodes will begin in beginning of January, ''Ms Kejriwal said.
Speaking to UNI, Mr Basu said the contestants who could not make it to the show because it had to be taken off air following Mr Bachchan's illness will get a chance to play with Shah Rukh Khan in the new edition.
Star India's 5 year contract with Celador for Kaun Banega Crorepati, which incorporates both the format and programme license, is the longest continuing license that has ever been granted for the globally successful show.
Buy Movie Tickets
Receive FREE Movie News & Gupshup
In Your Inbox
In Your Inbox