Talking about it, producer Amita Pathak says, "There was some kind of voltage fluctuation and bulbs started bursting followed by smoke. Almost all the gadgets -- from the DVD player to the monitor -- got shorted. I was sitting with my back to the monitor when smoke began billowing out it. Ajay asked us to throw some dry ice on it. But finally, the smoke became thick and overpowering and we all had to rush out of the sets. We realised that a fire had broken out!"
First the actors -- Ajay and Konkona -- were evacuated and then, the entire crew with the 400-odd dancers and junior artists left the sets. Amita continues, "We always have a few people from the fire department present on the sets for such emergencies and they managed to snuff out the fire in time. But for that, we had to stop the shooting for two hours. I am happy to state that there were no injuries. Though my unit was calm and composed, I was a bit panicky as I didn't want anyone to get burnt. I was very tense till the last person went out of the sets."
One flip side to the whole incident was that everyone thought that the fire was a prank being played by Devgn -- a known prankster. Amita says, "He was the first one to point out about the smoke. And while the rest of us were panicking, Ajay was the one standing around relaxed and cool. When things got really messy, we realised he wouldn't have done something that could have endangered our lives."
Buy Movie Tickets
Receive FREE Movie News & Gupshup
In Your Inbox
In Your Inbox