By: Sunil Noronha
Friday, February 24, 2006
- Hollywood was initially built in 1923 by Harry Chandler for a cost of $21,000. It was built to advertise the area "Hollywoodland". Built to last for only a year and a half, it lasted for more than eighty years and is still going strong.
- In '39, there was a small white dot below the sign. It contained four thousand twenty watt bulbs to light up the structure and was maintained by a caretaker.
- A piece of Hollywoodland was sold to the city of Los Angeles, which included the part of land that had the Hollywood sign on it.
- In '49, L, A, N &D were removed and H was helped up because it was half toppled over. This form of the sign came to stay.
- The sign deteriorated to wither until it fell under its own weight .It was brought back to shape by generous donors in '78 during which for three months because a new sign was being put up. Hugh Hefner held a fundraiser auctioning off each letter of the sign. Alice Cooper sponsored one O. Gene Aunty sponsored an L and Paul Williams a W.
- Then in '95, to maintain the sign Hollywood Sign Trust was setup, which was created to keep the Hollywood Sign in top shape.
- The Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce became the signs image and licensing manager. The sign itself became the property of the city of Los Angeles.
- In 2000, lightning destroyed the signs surveillance booth and Panasonic was called to set up a security system for the sign with microwave triggered motion detectors, external alarms and a close circuit television network.
Scott Stapp marries, found drunk the next day
Tom Cruise warns biographer