Washington (ANI): Dream Works' big-budget film Tropic Thunder topped the weekend box office, knocking The Dark Knight out of the number one spot after it reigned in theatres for more than one month.
According to studio estimates, the comedy starring Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Black takes in an estimated 26 million dollars, reports E! Online. The latest Batman film may have slipped to the second place, with an earning of 16.8 million dollars, but it broke yet another commercial barrier along the way by becoming the second highest grossing film ever.
An animated George Lucas production called Star Wars: The Clone Wars opened in third place this weekend with some 15.5 million dollars. Mirrors, a 20th Century Fox horror tale about a security guard whose family is terrorized by spirits, opened at number four with 11.1 million dollars over the weekend. Rounding off the top five was Pineapple Express with 10 million dollars.
The top ten films at the weekend box office are:
1. Tropic Thunder, $26 million
2. The Dark Knight, $16.8 million
3. Star Wars: The Clone Wars, $15.5 million
4. Mirrors, $11.1 million
5. Pineapple Express, $10 million
6. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, $8.6 million
7. Mamma Mia!, $6.5 million
8. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, $5.9 million
9. Step Brothers, $5 million
10. Vicky Cristina Barcelona, $3.7 million