Slumdog Millionaire rounded off the top with 8.1 million dollars. The Danny Boyle flick, which tracks the journey of an 18-year-old boy from rags-to-riches, has won eight Oscars out of the 10 categories it was nominated for. The flick has not only earned the Best Director gong for Danny Boyle, but also the Best Film award.
It also bagged awards for Original score, Original song, Film Editing, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, and Best Sound Mixing.
The weekend's top-grossing films are:
1. Madea Goes to Jail, $41.1 million
2. Taken, $11.4 million
3. Coraline, $11 million
4. He's Just Not That Into You, $8.5 million
5. Slumdog Millionaire, $8.1 million
6. Friday the 13th, $7.8 million
7. Confessions of a Shopaholic, $7.02 million
8. Paul Blart: Mall Cop, $7 million
9. Fired Up, $6 million
10. The International, $4.5 million
Washington (ANI): Director/filmmaker Tyler Perry"s Madea Goes To Jail has topped the weekend box office after raking in 41.1 million dollars. According to studio estimates, Taken landed the second spot with 11.4 million dollars. Coraline came third with 11 million dollars while He's Just Not That Into You stood fourth with 8.5 million dollars, reports E! Online.