'Salt" settled for second, with a gross 36.5 million dollars, reports E! Online. The action flick's debut was bigger than recent star movies from Tom Cruise ('Knight and Day") and Matt Damon ('The Green Zone"), and about even with Russell Crowe''s 'Robin Hood".
At the third place was 'Despicable Me"—the 3D Steve Carell toon stayed strong with 24.1 million dollar. Rounding up at the fourth and fifth place are 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and 'Toy Story 3" with 9.7 million dollars and 9 million dollars respectively.
Here's a complete look at the weekend's top-grossing films, per Friday-Sunday estimates compiled by Exhibitor Relations:
1. Inception, dollars43.5 million
2. Salt, 36.5 million dollars
3. Despicable Me, 24.1 million dollars
4. The Sorcerer's Apprentice, 9.7 million dollars
5. Toy Story 3, 9 million dollars
6. Ramona and Beezus, 8 million dollars
7. Grown Ups, 7.6 million dollars
8. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, 7 million dollars
9. The Last Airbender, 4.2 million dollars
10. Predators, 2.9 million dollars
Washington (ANI): While Angelina Jolie"s 'Salt" got a big welcome at the box office, it was "Inception" that racked up the most moolah from the ticket window. The Christopher Nolan-Leonardo DiCaprio dreamscape stayed atop the weekend box office with an estimated 43.5 million dollars.