Kevin Smith's 'Cop Out" landed the second spot with 18.6 million dollars while 'The Crazies" stood third with 16.5 million dollars. Avatar came fourth. With a 14-million-dollar weekend, the 20th Century Fox release now is at 706.9 million dollars domestically.
'Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" rounded off the top five with 9.8 million dollars, reports E! Online.
The weekend's top-grossing films are:
1. Shutter Island, $22.2 million
2. Cop Out, $18.6 million
3. The Crazies, $16.5 million
4. Avatar, $14 million
5. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, $9.8 million
6. Valentine's Day, $9.5 million
7. Dear John, $5 million
8. The Wolfman, $4.1 million
9. The Tooth Fairy, $3.5 million
10. Crazy Heart, $2.5 million
Washington (ANI): Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio's 'Shutter Island" has topped the box office for second week running, while James Cameron's 'Avatar" has become the first movie ever to surpass 700 million dollar mark domestically. The Paramount Pictures psychological thriller remained the No. 1 film for a second-straight weekend with 22.2 million dollars, according to studio estimates.