Noted producer of Kannada cinema Ramu is caught in a peculiar situation. He is absolutely not having bad intentions in keeping the title Maasthi for his new venture going on the floor on Saturday at Kanteerava studio.
As we all know Maasthi is the name of a place in Karnataka. The Jnanapeeth Award winner Masthi Venkatesh Iyengar is called as Kannadadha Maasthi and 'Aaasthi' He is nick named as Maasthi. A generous, fun loving personality who played cards frequently puffing cigarette quite often. He was a jolly going personality despite of high contribution to literary field.
Now producer Ramu, director Shivamani and superstar Upendra have kept the title Maasthi for the new film. Maasthi according to them is the first sheet anchor rowdy in Karnataka. There are some touching elements on how he became rowdy and what he says before his death. Director Shivamani has done a small research for the good.
The literary personalities considering it as disrespect to the giant of Kannada literature Maasthi are up in arms on Friday morning. At Kannada Sahitya Parishat the protest meeting for the Kannada film has been arranged at 11 am. They want the title to be changed.
Let us look at the titles in the past and present:
- When a film Chaduranga was made starring Ambarish in the past the literary personality Chaduranga did not say anything in Mysore and his fraternity also kept mum.
- Om is the beginning of everything. When a title Om was interspersed with rowdy subject there was no protest on the title.
- There are titles like Upendra in which Upendra starred, Hubballi, Thirupathi, Mandya, Shastri, Gowdru, Golla, Brahmana, Mysoora Mallige, Santha Shishunala Sharief, Lankesh Patrike, Nagamandala, Veerappan, Kambalahalli, Poojary, Deadly Soma, Giri, Kitty, Dhruva, Nagarahavu etc. Rowdy MLA was later made as Rowdy and MLA, Police Daada was changed to Police Matthu Daada.
- When Nagarahavu was made in 70's based on Tha.Ra.Su subject after seeing the film he said it is Kere Haavu (snake in the lake) and condemned the film. But the film became super hit. It became Puttanna Kanagal Nagarahavu and Dr.Vishnuvrdhana is still popular because of his debut film.
- When Nagamandala was made based on folk tale the industry considered it as a prostitute subject.
- A few days back superstar Dr.Vishnu has said there are some people from whom their birthplace gets name and some others who make their birthplace great.
- One of the producer name in Karnataka is M.B. Babu. But his original name is Masthi Balakrishna Babu. Poet Sumathindra Nadig has already suggested Masthi instead of Maasthi.
What do you say? Write to us. We will display it and pass it on to the concerned persons.