Kings of Leon's 'Only By The Night' took the third spot, and Leona Lewis' 'Spirit' took the fourth. 'Viva La Vida...' by Coldplay wrapped up the top five. In the top ten singles category, British soul/pop singer Alexandra Burke took the top spot with her version of 'Hallelujah'.
Burke, an X Factor winner, sold 888,000 copies of her single in the last two weeks of the year and earned herself the No 1 spot for biggest selling single. The second spot went to X Factor finalists for their song 'Hero', and the third spot went to Duffy for 'Mercy'. Katy Perry's 'I Kissed A Girl' took the fourth spot, Nickelback's 'Rockstar' came in fifth.
"Duffy and Alexandra Burke have been the biggest new arrivals on the British music scene over the past year, bar none," the BBC quoted OCC managing director Martin Talbot as saying.
"But the biggest selling singles and albums of the year also show that talent, both new and old, can make an impact, if the music is right. Besides the obvious impact of the X Factor artists, including Burke, Leona Lewis and this year's finalists, Duffy, Katy Perry, Sam Sparro and Scouting For Girls all scored big to show that new talent can make an impact," he added.
The top ten albums of 2008 are as follows:
1) Rockferry - Duffy
2) The Circus - Take That
3) Only By The Night - Kings of Leon
4) Spirit - Leona Lewis
5) Viva La Vida... - Coldplay
6) Good Girl Gone Bad - Rihanna
7) Day & Age - Killers
8) Out of Control - Girls Aloud
9) Funhouse - Pink
10) Scouting For Girls - Scouting For Girls
The top ten singles for 2008 are as follows:
1) Hallelujah - Alexandra Burke
2) Hero - X Factor finalists
3) Mercy - Duffy
4) I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry
5) Rockstar - Nickelback
6) American Boy - Estelle/ Kanye West
7) Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
8) Now You're Gone - Basshunter
9) 4 Minutes - Madonna/ Justin Timberlake
10) Black & Gold - Sam Sparro
Buy Movie Tickets
Receive FREE Movie News & Gupshup
In Your Inbox
In Your Inbox