By: Settu Shankar
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Superstar Rajini starrer Shivaji-The Boss is still ruling the box office in Kollywood without any competition even after the completion of its 85th day. The film finds 80 to 95 percent of the theater capacity in the weekends and 50 to 60 percent in the weekdays. Running with 10 screens in the City and 16 in the suburban the film has rewritten the box office history in many ways. The distributors and exhibitors have realized almost double the amount they invested in the film.
As per the box office reports, Shivaji collected Rs.13 crores in Chennai city limits only against the investment of 6.7 crores!!
The top five Tamil films of this Week are:
1. Shivaji - The Boss : The success of Shivaji has proved that Rajnikanth is the undisputed boss of the Tamil film industry and is the main force behind a prosperous year for Director Shankar after his debacles in Boys and an average-grosser Anniyan.
2. Arya : Directed by Bala Sekaran, the film found a good opening all over the state and pushed down Kreedom to a lower rank. Madhavan has tried hard to cater to the mass audience after his successful attempt in Thambi.
3. Ammuvagiya Naan : It is very hard for a film based on a prostitute's life to be placed in the top five ranks at the box office. But director Padmamagan made it possible through his flawless making style and portrayal in Ammuvagiya Naan. Parthiban had the guts to act in this film that revolves around a sex worker. The film found a decent opening in the first week, and film pundits expect that the film will prove to be the black horse in the race in the coming weeks!
4. Veerappu : A remake of Mohanlal's Spatigam, the film is a big hit in the B and C centers. It has also found good viewership in the city centers like Chennai. The film has helped debutant Badri establish his reputation as a director of big heroes.
5. Kireedam : Kireedam is also a remake of a successful Malayalam film starring Mohanlal, but only the A centers have found enough viewers and it failed to pull the rural crowd.
Buy Movie Tickets
Receive FREE Movie News & Gupshup
In Your Inbox
In Your Inbox