Livewire dance and lots of entertainment! That’s what the 7th season of ‘Jhalak Dikhlaa Jaa’ was to give us! But has it lived up to the expectations of the viewers? Unfortunately, this season it has turned out to be a damp squid. Let’s see why.
• Primarily, the show has not seen much change in format till now.
• The lovely, mesmerising judge Madhuri Dixit is doing just that- looking lovely! She is not leaving much of an impact except for her change to the western attire.
• Remo, termed to be a judge hard to please doesn’t seem as critical in comparison to previous seasons.
• Madhuri’s step of the week which was a ‘look-forward’ for fans, introduced in the last season has been dropped.
• A lot of contestants are established dancers like Shakti Mohan and Tara-Jean Popowich who is the winner of ‘Canada So You Think You Can Dance’ Season-2! It seems as if they do have an unfair advantage over other contestants.
• The hunk of a judge Maksim Chmerkovskiy was an eye-catcher and could have given an interesting and different angle in judgement but he exited the scene too soon!
• The famous signature comments of the judges are too subtle; whether it be Madhuri’s ‘Perfect!’ or Remo’s ‘That’s how you roll it!’ Their comments are not even highlighted as compared to previous seasons.
• Challengers Salman and Lauren posing challenges for the contestants every week set standards par excellence and that makes one think why Salman or Lauren aren’t part of the competition as choreographers.
• Contestant Kiku Sharda was introduced as ‘Palak’ initially and was used to try and raise the TRPs with his ‘Comedy Nights’ performances. Though well-appreciated, Kiku’s talent could have been given a backseat on a dance show!
• No surprise element till now has been introduced whereas last season had atleast a few ‘one-on-ones’ and distinct themes!
‘Jhalak Dikhlaa Jaa 7’ does have a good set of contestants who are popular; some who are actually improvising at every stage, which is the show’s real purpose! Somewhere the overpowering established dancers and lack of creativity is such that even the host Manish Paul’s quirky antics is unable to save the show!