- How Katrina Kaif Would React To This? Ranbir Kapoor Admits Having A CRUSH On Alia Bhatt!
- Neetu Kapoor REACTS To Alia Bhatt-Ranbir Kapoor's Affair; Comments On His Break-up With Katrina Kaif
- PICS: Aishwarya Rai AVOIDS Salman; Katrina Acts COOL With Alia But SNUBS Ranbir At Sonam's Reception
- Sonam Kapoor's Wedding Party: Ranbir-Katrina, Salman-Aishwarya & Other B-Town Exes Under A Roof!
- Stars Spotted At Sonam Kapoor's RECEPTION: Aishwarya Rai, SRK, Ranbir, Katrina, Alia & Others [PICS]
- Katrina Kaif, Janhvi Kapoor & Rani Mukerji SLAY At Sonam Kapoor's Mehendi Ceremony [INSIDE PICTURES]
- Fight With Katrina To Get Worse! Alia Bhatt Says She Won't DENY Her Affair Buzz With Ranbir Kapoor
- WATCH OUT! Katrina Kaif Will Leave You Spellbound With Her Latest Photoshoot
- Katrina Kaif's Sister Isabelle Looks Gorgeous In These Pics & It's Hard Not To Fall In Love With Her
- Shocker! Salman Khan Refuses A Cameo In Katrina Kaif's Sister Isabelle's Debut Film?
- Katrina Kaif No Longer Friends With Alia Bhatt Because Of Ranbir Kapoor? Here's The Truth!
- Salman Khan To Be Blamed! Catfight Brewing Between Katrina Kaif And Jacqueline Fernandez?
Bollywood actresses have a tough competition surviving in the big league, they are ready to experiment with their roles, their look and everything to stay ahead in the game.
There came a time when Katrina Kaif's position was challenged and she was tagged as just a pretty face who can play arm candy in movies. For roles that required acting directors would opt for other actresses. This was the time when Katrina chose to do Rajneeti just to show people that she too can act. She even went to the extent of dubbing in her own voice for her role in the movie to garner appreciation for her capability.
Also in the present day, Bollywood revels in the freedom of making movies and call them art. While some are worth the watch, others are big time flops. Most of the times when someone makes an art movie they tend to make women oriented movies and our hot Bollywood actresses are more than willing to be a part of it owing to the pressure to do such roles in the industry. Unless you have done an art movie, or a women oriented movie, where you play the role of strong women fighting against all odds, you are not really a critically acclaimed actress.
Sad, but that's the way it functions, for example Alia Bhatt, she was treated as just a pretty face, once she did a movie like Highway suddenly she is the next big thing in Bollywood and for actresses in her league to prove they have the same capability, they will soon have to do a tough role like that to prove their worth.
Anyhow let us see how many Bollywood actress have gone de glam and delivered a power packed performances by playing widow roles in movies.
Katrina Kaif in Rajneeti
Katrina Kaif plays the role of Arjun Rampal's widow. Arjun dies at a bomb blast leaving Katrina alone to contest elections and become the next chief minister.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in Choker Bali
Aishwarya played a Bengali widow Binodini, who was educated, charismatic and gutsy. Binodini breaks free from the shackles of widowhood and seduces her brother-in-law, Mahendra , though she leaves him forever towards the end as a tribute to her bonding with Ashalata, played by Raima Sen.
Bipasha Basu in Aatma
Bipasha Basu plays a widowed mother, who lives with her daughter, who start having scary experiences only to realize that it is the husband's spirit, played by Nawazuddin Siddiqui who comes back to take away the daughter.
Ameesha Patel in Mangal Pandey
Ameesha plays Jwala, a widow who is expected to be burnt alive in the pyre of her dead husband as a part of the barbaric ritual Sati. A British officer Gordon saves Jwala, and later goes on to fall in love with her.
Lisa Ray in Water
Deepa Mehta's film Water focuses on a relationship between one of the widows (Lisa Ray), who wants to escape the social restrictions.
Ayesha Takia in Dor
Ayesha Takia lives a narrow confined life as a widow, but eventually gathers enough courage flee her in-laws household to find a life of her own.
Kangana Ranaut in Double Dhamaal
Kangana Ranaut plays a character inspired by Jaya Bachchan's role in 'Sholay' in Indra Kumar's Double Dhamaal.
Madhuri Dixit in Mrityudand
Prakash Jha's Mrityudand was one of Madhuri Dixit's boldest movies. The character of Ketki fights against the injustices of village landlords to avenge the death of her husband.
Rani Mukherjee in Baabul
A happily married Mili (Rani Mukherjee) loses her husband played by Salman Khan in an accident. Her father-in-law played by AmitabhBachchan convinces her to remarry with her childhood friend played by John Abraham.
Preeti Jhangiani in Mohabbatein
Preeti plays Kiran, who is married to an Army officer who never returned from war, but hse pretend to believe he is alive because of her father-in-law, General Khanna (Amrish Puri).
Padmini Kolhapure in Prem Rog
Husband dies in an accident and young Radha is held responsible for bringing bad luck. A lusty brother-in-law adds to her misery by trying to rape her. Her childhood friend Rishi Kapoor comes to her rescue. He fights for her and eventually win the battle against a society where widow remarriage was a taboo.
Jaya Bachchan in Sholay
Radha's sad story started when Gabbar Singh killed her entire family leaving her alone with her father-in-law, Thakur. But her fate is doomed again when her secret admirer Jai is also killed.
Rani Mukerji in Hum Tum
Ria Prakash, who lost her husband immediately after her marriage. But, grief doesn't allow Riya to let go of her husband's memories and she restrains herself from anything happy.