- Here's Why Priyanka Chopra BROKE UP With Her Superstar EX-BF; Dating Nick To Heal Her BROKEN Heart!
- Funny Race 3 Memes! SRK, Ranbir Kapoor & Abhishek Bachchan TROLL Salman Khan In Their Style!
- Shahrukh Khan & Amitabh Bachchan Collaborate For A Film After Good Ten Years!
- Did Sanjay Leela Bhansali Drop The Idea Of Working With Salman Khan? We're As Confused As You Are!
- Man In Anushka Sharma & Virat Kohli's Video Has Worked With Shahrukh Khan & Madhuri Dixit!
- Suhana Khan Poses With A Mystery Man At A Party & The Internet Can't Stop Asking, 'Who's That Boy?'
- VIRAL VIDEO! When Janhvi Kapoor As A Kid Presented The Best Actor Award To Shahrukh Khan
- Shahrukh Khan Celebrates Eid In Orlando, View Pictures!
- Shahrukh Khan, Varun Dhawan, Big B, Madhuri Dixit, Anil Kapoor & Others Wish Everyone A Happy Eid
- Salman Khan Is A ZERO! Read To Know Why
- How Salman & Shahrukh Khan Became Enemies In An Instant & Patched Up A Few Years Later!
- Shahrukh Khan's Zero Teaser Shows Him BONDING With Salman Khan! Watch It Here
Director Subhash Ghai had planned an ambitious war film with three of the biggest Bollywood superstars - Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan - but he had to shelve it.
The director said he had even a title for the film, which was to be called 'Mother Land'.
SRK Backed Out At The Last Moment
"In 2003, I wanted to start a war film called 'Mother Land', where I had cast Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan. The script was ready and three songs were also recorded, but at the last minute Shahrukh backed out," Ghai says in a PTI interview.
Aishwarya’s Name Was Also On The List
The filmmaker, who has previously worked with Shahrukh in the 1997 hit film, Pardes, said the superstar wanted a solo-hero project back then and hence the dream project could not go on floors.
"He (Shahrukh) felt there are so many characters in the film. He wanted to do a solo hero film then, but mine was not. It was a story of Dilip saab, Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh. On my wish list were also Aishwarya Rai, Priety Zinta and Mahima Chaudhry for the film but that's destiny," he says.
Even ‘Shikhar’ Couldn’t Happen
"Mother Land" did not take off but there was another film, called ‘Shikhar' that Ghai had planned to make with Shahrukh. However, that also got shelved, thus giving birth to ‘Pardes'.
"Before 'Pardes' I had designed a film called 'Shikhar', staring Jackie Shroff and Shah Rukh, where we were to cast a new girl. It was a love story with a war backdrop. We had done our muhurat too and recorded a song after signing A R Rahman," he says.
Did You Know?
"'Ishq bina kya jeena yaaro' was a song from 'Shikhar' (which eventually became one of the most popular songs from his 'Taal'). But when 'Trimurti' (1995) released and flopped, the media and distributors said 'how could you give a flop after ten hits? You better retire'!" he says.
The phase put Ghai and his team in confusion, as they decided to scrap the ambitious war film and instead focused on making a small film.
"My team thought, since 'Shikhar' was a very big war film with huge investment, let's make a small budget film. I thought let's make a small film, which happened to be
'Pardes', shoot within a year and come back to 'Sikhar' later," Ghai says.
When "Pardes" released and became a hit, Ghai moved on to helm "Taal" (1999).
The 72-year-old filmmaker recently showcased 'Pardes' at New Excelsior Cinema, acquired by Mukta A2 Cinema, a branch of Ghai's Mukta Arts.