- RACE 3 DISASTER! Remo D’Souza Just BLAMED Salman Khan For Its Failure? Gives A Shocking Reply!
- Salman Khan Changes The Title Of Aayush Sharma's Loveratri To Loveyatri; New Poster Out!
- Karanvir Bohra's Fans Unhappy With Salman For Humiliating Him! Big Boss 12 Inmates Sick Of His OCD?
- Bigg Boss 12: Why Dipika Kakar Entered The Show Without Husband Shoaib Ibrahim? The Couple Reveal!
- Neha Pendse Ready To Clean Toilets In Bigg Boss 12, Says Hina Khan Inspires Her!
- Bigg Boss 12: Jasleen Matharu & Anup Jalota's Controversial Relationship Targeted By The Contestants
- Salman Khan Introduces Mohnish Bahl's Daughter Pranutan Bahl: The Latter Gets Emotional
- Bigg Boss 12 Grand Premiere: Fans Already Find Deepak Thakur Entertaining & Anup-Jasleen Fake!
- Bigg Boss 12: Hina Khan Reveals Why She Denied Being A Part Of The Premiere!
- Bigg Boss 12 Live Updates: After Anup & Jasleen, Another Singer-Student Jodi Enters The House!
- Bigg Boss 12: All The Things You Can Look Forward To Witnessing In The Premiere Episode!
- Bigg Bigg Boss 12: Hina Khan & Hiten Tejwani To Act As Moderators Of The Tasks!
'Mere baarein mein itna mat sochna. Dil mein aata hoon samajh mein nahi'- this dialogue from 'Kick' perfectly defines Salman Khan! He's one of the few whose stardom has never been affected by success and failure. Be it his fashion trends, dialoguebaazi or signature dance moves, the actor has been ruling over the masses' hearts for a long time now.
Although the Bollywood superstar turned into the nation's heartthrob with 'Maine Pyaar Kiya,' his first debut film was actually Biwi Ho Toh Aisi where he played the role of Farooq Shaikh's brother.
As Biwi Ho Toh Aisi clocks 30 years today, we take a look back at how Salman landed his first break on the big screen-
Many Actors Were Approached To Play The Role Of Vicky Bhandari
"Bihariji (JK Bihari who was the writer-director) told me that he had approached numerous actors, big and small for the role but all of them refused it, as they did not like something or the other about the part," Salman had recently revealed.
"He was completely frustrated and one fine day, while he was at his garage turned office, he told his team that the next idiot to walk in would be signed for the film. And that idiot was me."
'I Thought I Was Signed Because Of My Style'
"On the other hand, I had gotten ready for the audition so nicely. I knew he used to sit at the garage beside the building; so I entered in full speed and style. I thought I was signed because of that, not knowing what Bihariji had in his mind."
Why Salman Took Up Biwi Ho Toh Aisi!
But do you folks know that it was Salman's disappointment over Maine Pyar Kiya led him to sign up for Biwi Ho To Aisi? While Salman was keen to do Maine Pyaar Kiya, Sooraj Barjatya had shortlisted Deepak Tijori and Kunal Goswami for Prem's role. This was one of the reasons why Salman took up Biwi Ho Toh Aisi because he was looking out for work.
Salman Said A Yes Out Of Desperation
"Almost every young actor had refused it. So when I walked in they asked me, 'It's a small role. Will you do it?' Out of desperation, I said, 'yes'. They did all the signing formalities and gave me a VHS of a regional film and told me to watch it for my part in it. When I saw the film, I realised that the film is good but I am barely there. I had no choice but do this film as I had no work at all".
When Salim Khan Opened Up About Salman's Struggling Phase
n a Filmfare 1990 interview, his father Salim Khan opened up about Salman's struggling phase post the release of Biwi Ho Toh Aisi, "Salman constantly met producers, but the small role he played in Biwi Ho Toh Aisi and the fact that his voice was dubbed went against him. Perhaps, he should have waited for a better break, maybe he did that role just for experience. Filmmakers were reluctant to cast him because he wasn't a ranked newcomer, full credit should go to Sooraj for giving Salman such a good role. If I had been in Sooraj's place, I might have been hesistant."
How Salman Was Destined To Do Maine Pyaar Kiya
In one of his recent interviews, Salman said, "A few months later, when Sooraj came to sign me for Maine Pyaar Kiya, I was doing Biwi Ho Toh Aisi. I sat down with Sooraj and explained that I was a part of this film and that it was almost complete. Sooraj told me, 'You were damn good in the test thus we changed our decision and want to cast you for Maine Pyar Kiya'."
'My Brother Arbaaz Laughed At My Acting'
"Once Biwi Ho Toh Aisi was complete I saw the rushes. My brother Arbaaz saw the rushes and laughed at my acting. That night I called up Sooraj and told him to look for another hero as I felt that I was not up to the mark. On Sooraj's insistence, I asked the makers to show him Biwi Ho Toh Aisi so he could take me off the Maine Pyaar Kiya cast and sign someone else".
Sooraj Convinced Salman To Take Up Maine Pyaar Kiya
Sooraj saw the film and left without uttering a word. I told him that my biggest fear is many people might see Biwi Ho Toh Aisi and after seeing me in it, they won't enter the theatre if they saw me on the poster of Maine Pyaar Kiya. Sooraj consoled me and said 'You are Prem of Maine Pyar Kiya. What I saw on screen right now is not you.' He convinced me to let this film happen. He said that it wouldn't affect me even if it won't do well".