- Sambhavna & Avinash’s Reception: Upen Patel, Diandra Soares, Johnny Lever & Others Attend (PICS)
- Bikini Shopping! Neha Dhupia Hunts For The Best Bikini In Fiji
- Did Shahrukh Khan Just Cry After Watching Dilwale?
- Shahrukh Khan & Kajol's Dilwale Off To Goa For Final Shoot!
- See What Shahrukh Khan Has To Say About Johnny Lever!
- How Dogs Add Entertainment To Akshay Kumar's Life? (See Pics)
- Johnny Lever daughter Jamie J in Comedy Circus Ke Mahabali
- Shakeel accused of passing comment against India
- Priyadarshan exposes Johny's role in De Dana Dan
- Dhoondte Reh Jaoge - Review
When it comes to comedy, Johnny Lever's name is the first one to flash into your mind. Touted to be one of the most noted comedians in Indian cinema, the actor is one of the finest talents we have in the film industry. With an impeccable comic timing and inimitable facial expressions, Johnny never fails to make us laugh in every film of his.
As Johnny Lever turns a year older today, we shall take a look back at his life which has been quite inspiring.
How Johnny Lever Got His Name?
Johnny Lever's real name is John Rao. While working at Hindustan Lever, his stand-up comedy and mimicry became such a sensation there that the union leader christened him 'Johnny Lever'.
It's Been A Tough Journey
The actor had to drop out of school when he was in seventh standard because of some financial problems. Later, he started working odd jobs, such as selling pens on the streets of Mumbai by imitating Bollywood actors and dancing to their songs.
How He Landed His First Big Break
Johnny Lever used to perform in musical shows (orchestras) for Tabassum Parade and later for Kalyanji-Anandji. He did a lot of world tours with them; one of his first big tours being with Amitabh Bachchan in 1982. During these tours, he caught the eye of Sunil Dutt who gave him his first break in Bollywood with Dard Ka Rishta.
His First Success
He tasted major success with Shahrukh Khan starrer Baazigar where he played the role of an absent-minded servant named Babulal. Johnny went on to give memorable performances in films like 'Khiladi', 'Judaai', 'Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega' amongst others.
Daughter Jamie Speaks
His daughter Jamie, who is also a popular stand-up comedian as well, had once revealed in an interview, "In real life, my dad is nothing like his goofy on-screen characters. He is a strict, conservative South Indian dad. Growing up, our mother kept us away from the film world he worked in. He wanted me to not only complete my graduation but do a post graduation, get a good job, and settle down."