TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Rs 100 Coin To Be Introduced Soon — Check It Out
- New Maruti Wagon R 2019 Spy Pics — Looks Bigger And Premium Than The Current Model
- PUBG Mobile Vikendi Snow Map To Release In December
- Central Railway Recovers Whopping Rs 125 Crore From Errant Travellers
- Here's Why You Should Celebrate Christimas The 'Pondicherry Way'
- India vs Australia: 2nd — Aussies Ahead
- Woman Gets Engaged To A Chandelier And Gets A Tattoo Of It
- Alia Bhatt Reveals Why She Looked So Sad With Ranbir Kapoor!
By: Joginder Tuteja, Glamsham
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
First week collections of Om Shanti Om are out and the film has clearly left behind the Dhoom:2 first week record of 35 crores far behind. At 40 crores plus, the film now stands as the biggest Bollywood box office opener of all times.
The million dollar question now is whether the film's extraordinary run would continue for next few weeks as well, hence crossing the 85 crore target set by the YRF production?
While Dhoom:2 had opened at 35 crores, it had gone on to record very good collections in the subsequent weeks to touch the 85 crore mark as well in around 10 weeks. In fact the second week of the film had seen further 22 crores coming in while the third week also crossed 10 crores.
However, the film also benefited from the fact that a) it was a sole release and b) films like Babul, Aryan and Kabul Express were hardly any commercial competitors. In fact Bhagam Bhag was the only film which boasted of good box office collection after Dhoom:2 in 2006.
On the other hand Om Shanti Om, which has seen excellent collections in week one and promises to break week 2 record as well, doesn't really enjoy such luxuries. Barring current week and the weekend of 14th December, every subsequent week sees a major box office release. While Goal arrives on 23rd November, Aaja Nachle comes on 30th November, Dus Kahaniyaan on 7th December and the trio of Welcome, Taare Zameen Par and Halla Bol on 21st December.
With such huge competition in hand, if Om Shanti Om still manages to stay on in the limelight and earn more than 85 crores, it would certainly be an achievement in itself.