TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Election Results 2018 Updates: The Numbers At This Hour And Its Still Not Final
- Hockey World Cup 2018 — Catch The Latest Updates
- OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition India Launch — Catch The Live Stream Here
- Markets Trade Higher Post State Election Results
- New Tata Tiago XZ+ Variant Launched In India
- Wildlife Sanctuaries Of Tamil Nadu
- Sonakshi Sinha's Red Dress
- Newlyweds PeeCee-Nick Go For Their Honeymoon
Monday, March 27, 2006
Dubai(UNI): Indian cine stars will converge here in June this year to attend the seventh edition of the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards -- a five-day extravaganza -- to celebrate the achievements of industry. The City, which is fast becoming a favourite destination for Indian filmmakers, will host the glamorous event after London, Sun City, Genting Islands in Malaysia, Johannesburg, Singapore and Amsterdam. At the 'IIFA Awards 2005 ' in Amsterdam, it was announced that the Dutch city could again be the venue for the event the following year. Apart from Amsterdam, Dubai and Morocco were also in the run to woo the organisers of IIFA Awards, considered equivalent to the Oscars.
During his Dubai visit in 2003, IIFA's Brand Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan had told The Gulf Today that Dubai was the ideal place to hold such events. Launched six years ago at the Millennium Dome, London, the IIFA Awards has evolved from an awards presentation ceremony to a three-day extravaganza dedicated to the world of cinema. Besides presentation of awards and a charity match between celebrities, an IIFA global seminar on different aspects of the business of filmmaking is also expected to be held. A special IIFA film festival is another highlight of the popular event, besides a star-studded post-awards party. So far, Lagaan, Aankhen, Armaan and Yuva have been premiered during the past IIFA Awards celebrations.