TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Worst Passwords Of 2018 Revealed — ‘donald’ Is Among The Top 25
- PUBG Mobile To Receive Vikendi Snow Map — Game under development
- KTM 500cc Bike For India Officially Confirmed — Bajaj To Make The Twin-Cylinder KTM In India
- Flashback 2018 — The Top Playmakers From Cricket
- Star Screen Awards 2018 — Check Out The Winners List
- Value Stocks To Buy For 2019
- 15 Simple Ways In Which You Can Prevent Hair Breakage Naturally
- Kashmir: The Mise-en-Scène Of Bollywood
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
Saawariya, which loosely translates as 'the beloved', is a typical Sanjay Leela Bhansali-cum-Bollywood movie. It has the usual masala and song and dance sequences that differentiate it from films of the rest of the world. However, there is a difference here – the movie is produced by Sony Pictures Entertainment, which also produces Hollywood films. This is the first time that the American studio has taken up an Indian venture.
According to trade analyst, Komal Nahata, "I think they have realized that India is a huge market. First they got their films here in English, then they dubbed them in languages like Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, and this was a natural progression." He adds that it makes commercial sense to partner Bollywood production houses and make Hindi films now.
Following the footsteps of Sony Pictures Entertainment, Warner Brothers has announced its plans for the first Indian production, an action comedy. Walt Disney is making animated movies with an Indian studio, and Paramount Pictures is planning a Bollywood production.
Nahata also adds that these collaborations are going to be the order of the day now, since "Hollywood studios have deep studios."