TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Cyclone Gaja To Hit Tamil Nadu Tonight: State On High Alert; Schools Shut
- New Jawa, Jawa 42 And Perak Motorcycles Launched In India; Prices Start At Rs 1.55 Lakh
- Jio GigaFiber: How To Register For Reliance FTTH Broadband Connection
- Inside Details About DeepVeer's Konkani-Brahmin Wedding
- Virat Kohli Vows To Give It Back If Aussies Are Aggressive
- Shraddha Kapoor Gave Us One More Cute Fashion Goal With This Floral Summery Dress
- Health Insurance Major Revamp Plan To Serve Customers Better: Here’s How
- All About The Lost Town Of Poompuhar In Tamil Nadu
Monday, January 08, 2007
Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Saawariya is said to be based on a short story titled White Nights written by Fyodor Dostoevsky. The film is a musical set in the British Raj, shot in the location of Simla. Saawariya has been in news for long since it will launch two star kids, Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor. The film also stars Salman Khan and Rani Mukherjee. Rani plays the role of a prostitute named Gulab in the film.
In the short story, the protagonist is young 26 year old man who is a dreamer. He comes across a young lady at St. Petersburg and their story begins. The story is named White Nights as it is actually a weather phenomenon in St. Petersburg when days are as bright as night. The short story is based on four nights that the protagonists spend together.
Knowing the original story, it seems like Bhansali has chosen the location of Simla and the British Raj era to recreate the same effect in India. White Nights has been adapted into films many times in European and American Cinema. In fact, one of its Hollywood remakes released in 2005. Now it is for us to wait and watch how Sanjay Leela Bhansali re-creates White Nights in India.
Anil Kapoor-An Enchantment for All
Kamal, Shabana attend Field's seminar