TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Nagrota Attack: Free Run For Terrorists
- 5 Best Short And Safe Investments In India
- Ban On Registration Of New Vehicles In Bangalore — Does It Really Make A Difference?
- Launch Alert: Huawei Mate 20 Pro To Launch On 27th November
- Deepika And Ranveer Bangalore Reception: All You Need To Know!
- F1 Raceweek: Alonso Farewell Looms
- Typhus - Causes, Symptoms And Prevention
- Have You Visited These Saltwater Lakes Of India?
By: Subhash K. Jha, IndiaFM
Saturday, February 10, 2007
"I was passionately involved in the BMC elections. I supported the independent candidate Adolf d'Souza. Only 1 lakh rupees were spent. I personally canvassed for him, visited slums and upper middleclass colonies. It's not my victory. It just shows what active participation by citizens can achieve. The support Javed and I got from the film industry was so amazing. All it took was one phone-call to Anil Kapoor, Kirron Kher and Dia Mirza and they were on board. It was wonderful to see these people as residents of Juhu who genuinely cared for the city. I was very proud of the industry. I feel as passionately for the smaller issues as the larger ones. I get very heartened by even smaller changes. I see the empowerment of the slum dwellers happening. And I'm overjoyed. "
She's also heartened by Deepa Mehta's Water going to the Oscars. She was originally to do the film before Saffron activists pushed the project out of India and Shabana out of the project.
Sighs Shabana, "The Oscar nomination is truly a validation of Deepa's work. And my God, how wonderful it would be if she really got the Oscar! It's a slap on the face for all those who didn't want Water to be made."
She recalls with a laugh her shaved head for Water. "If my husband had his way I'd go around with a shaved head for the rest of my life. He fancied me without hair. I remember at Farhan's wedding I was completely bald with my head filled with sindoor. Rekha and Dimple looked at me and exclaimed, 'Babe you got guts.' That, Shabana does.
Boman's adventure with his wig!
Nandita Das gets Kalpana Chawla Award