- NTR Biopic: Vidya Balan Confirms That She Is Set To Play Balakrishna's On-screen Wife Basavatarakam
- STRANGE LOVE! Mira Rajput Once Threw Hubby Shahid Kapoor Out Of Their House
- Oscars 2018! Aamir Khan Says Sridevi Deserved The Oscars Mention
- Sridevi's Funeral: Rekha Started CRYING After Hugging Janhvi; Deepika Padukone Says Final Goodbye
- Sridevi's DEMISE! Vidya Balan Says My 'Inspiration Is No More'
- Aami Controversy: Here Is What Vidya Balan Has To Say!
- NASTY REMARK! When Shahid Kapoor Compared Kareena Kapoor To A BUFFALO; Took A Shocking Dig At Her
- SHE WAS UPSET! Vidya Balan's Shocking Revelation: Vidhu Vinod Chopra Asked Her To Get Her Nose FIXED
- I Have No Time For A Baby; Each Film I Do Is A New Baby: Vidya Balan
- Tumhari Sulu Proved Married Actresses Can Score A Hit: Vidya Balan
- UNEXPECTED! Did Salman Khan Just BODY-SHAME Vidya Balan With This Comment?
- BUT WHY? I Have Never Been Approached For Any Shahrukh Khan Film: Vidya Balan
Acclaimed filmmaker Srijit Mukherji revealed on Tuesday how Vidya Balan, who has been known for her jovial and down-to-earth personality, completely transformed herself to no-nonsense brothel madam "Begum Jaan".
"Before we started shooting 'Begum Jaan' we organised two workshops simultaneously. One with Vidya, another with girls... because Vidya is a jovial down-to-earth person and she easily mingles with everybody on set and I didn't want that. I wanted certain kind of distance with the girls from Vidya," he said at the trailer launch of the film.
Vidya Used To Ask Many Questions
"Vidya used to ask many questions during the workshop like what the memories of 'Begum Jaan' were when she was three, when she was first exploited or what happened when she got married.
Srijit Further Added..
"So at the end of the workshop, I had already completed writing four scripts... one 'Begum Jaan' and others are the prequels and sequels. I had to keep ready all the backstories of 'Begum Jaan' and the girls."
'There Was No Trace Of Vidya Balan'
"After the workshop when Vidya entered the set, I saw 'Begum Jaan' who is a fierce, manipulative no-nonsense kind of woman, walking in. There was no trace of Vidya Balan," he told the media.
We Agree With You, Mr Mukherji
The National award-winning filmmaker said the 'Kahani' actress has an immense commitment towards her craft. Srijit Mukherjee's directorial is a Hindi adaptation of Bengali film ‘Rajkahini', which saw Rituparna Sengupta in the lead, and also marks his debut in Bollywood.
Vidya is portraying the character of a brothel madam, while Ila Arun, Gauahar Khan, Pallavi Sharda, Ridheema Tiwary, Ashish Vidyarthi, Chunky Pandey and Rajit Kapoor are portraying the pivotal roles in the film.
The hard-hitting plot deals with the trauma of displaced women in a brothel during India's partition. While "Rajkahini" was based in Bengal, "Begum Jaan" is based out of Punjab.
Produced by Mukesh Bhatt, the film is scheduled for release on April 14.