- HAUNTING IMAGES! The ORIGINAL PICTURES Of The KUND Where Rani Padmavati Committed JAUHAR
- FINALLY! Sanjay Leela Bhansali Breaks His Silence; Talks About Padmaavat
- What I Had Said Would Happen: MP CM On Screening Of Bhansali's Padmaavat
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali Is DEPRESSED; Has Stopped Eating & Sleeping Cos Of This DISTURBING Reason
- Have Accepted All Five CBFC Modifications: Padmavat Producers Rubbish The Rumours Of 300 Cuts
- Deepika Padukone Starrer 'Padmavat' Will Not Be Released In Rajasthan: CM Vasundhara Raje
- Karni Sena Is Back! Now Wants The Names Of The Characters In Padmavat To Be Changed
- KHANS SHOULD TAKE A BOW! Akshay Kumar Doesn't Give A DAMN About Padman's Clash With Padmavati!
- Confirmed! Deepika Padukone's Padmavat To Clash With Akshay Kumar's Padman!
- Padmavati Glorifies Barbarian Invader Alauddin Khilji & Should be Banned Pan-India: Rajput Outfit!
- BREAKING! Deepika Padukone's Padmavati May Be Titled Padmavat, Passed With U/A Certificate
- Deepika Padukone's Padmavati To Release In March?
- OMG! Sonam Kapoor Talks About Bhansali, Says I Don't Think I Am His Kind Of Actor
Industry experts believe if Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus Padmavati had released today, as per the schedule, the film would performed really well on the box office ending the lull phase of Bollywood. An adaptation of Malik Muhammad Jayasi’s epic Padmavat, Bhansali’s period drama film got caught in controversy as soon as the director started shooting the film early this year.
There were allegations from Rajput groups that the film depicts factual inaccuracies, portraying the Rajput queen Padmavati in a bad light. Last month, the makers deferred the release date of Padmavati. They will announce the new release date when they get certification from the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC).
Trade Analysts Speak
“This year only few films like -- Bahubali: The Conclusion, few Akshay Kumar starrer films, Varun Dhawan’s Judwaa 2, Golmaal Again -- have done well, otherwise it has been a disappointing year box office wise. The entire fraternity and audience were looking forward to Padmavati and Tiger Zinda Hai to salvage the situation. Padmavati had a clear run of three weeks (till Tiger Zinda Hai releases) and it was expected that the film will have a great run at the box office. It would have done Rs 30- 40 crore on day one had it released today,” says exhibitor Akshay Rathi.
Box Office Predictions
Film distributor Rajesh Thadani too shares similar opinion about the box office fate of the controversy hit film. “If there was no problem at all, the film industry would have benefited as the was curiosity around the movie was very high. Now that the movie is postponed so there is a loss to the film industry, the makers and everyone else is affected now. After ‘Golmaal Again’, ‘Padmavati’ would have ended the lull phase of Bollywood,” Thadani says.
The team of Padmavati are also confident about the film’s commercial success “If the film would’ve released (today) it would have been super hit. Whenever it comes out, it’ll be super hit. Bhansali is pride of India... I have faith in the film. Whenever it’s out, the world will love it. We have to wait now for it to release, but that’s okay. A Sanjay Leela Bhansali film has always seen the light of the day. This will too, no doubt,” lyricist of Padmavati, A M Turaz told PTI.
Chief ministers of BJP-ruled states such as Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan have also called for a ban against the movie.