- Rajkummar Rao Advised Patralekhaa To Walk Out Of Kangana Ranaut's Panga?
- Rajkummar Rao On Stree's Unexpected Success: It’s One Of The Most Profitable Films Of The Year
- Made In China First Look: Rajkummar Rao & Mouni Roy Look Every Bit Like A Middle-Class Couple!
- Rajkummar Rao-Shraddha Kapoor's Stree Hits A Century, Film Makes It To The 100 Crore Club!
- Shraddha Kapoor On Stree Box Office: I Don't Know Which Film Of Mine Will Do How Much Business
- Love Sonia Movie Review: Where Hope Rises Like A Phoenix From The Ashes!
With Newton being unanimously chosen as India's official entry to the Academy Awards next year, actor Rajkummar Rao hopes that his dark comedy on Indian democracy manages to win the golden statuette. Directed by Amit Masurkar, the movie featuring Rajkummar in the title role, has been chosen to represent the country in the Best Foreign Language category at the awards.
As it is barely months to the ceremony, the actor says the team is working round-the-clock, which includes showing the film around and acquiring the services of a publicist. "The campaign is on. We are trying our level best and hoping for the best. The team is already there. A lot of screenings are going on in Los Angeles as we speak. There are a huge number of films, that are in the running for the Oscars."
In an interview with PTI he continued, "I really want Newton to break India's dry spell at the Oscars. I can't say, obviously, if it will happen or not. But I wish it does,"
There were reports that suggested Newton was a rip-off of the 2001 Iranian film Secret Ballot. But they were quashed with filmmaker Anurag Kashyap's timely intervention. He reached out to the director and the producer of the Iranian film to clarify that Newton bore no similarity with their project.
Rajkummar quipped, "(He) butchered those people who were saying 'it's a copy, it's a copy'. I don't understand people have so much time in this world. I don't know why they don't focus on making their life better."
Also View: Sizzling Hot Pictures Of Amy Jackson!