- Beyond The Clouds Review: Ishaan Khatter Makes A Sparkling Debut & Leaves You Asking For More!
- An Upset Majid Majidi EXPOSES Kangana Ranaut's Lie; Also Reveals Why He Rejected Deepika Padukone
- SHE FAILED THE LOOK TEST! OMG Majidi NEVER INVITED Deepika Padukone For Casting Of Beyond The Clouds
- OMG! Deepika Padukone Wanted To Do Beyond The Clouds; Majidi REJECTED Her For This SHOCKING Reason
- MUST-READ! A Reporter Called Ishaan Khatter A 'Star's Son', Here's What Happened Next
- WHAT A DEDICATION! Shahid Kapoor's Brother Ishaan Khattar Gets Himself Inked For His Debut Film
- Majid Majidi REVEALS Why He Chose Malavika Mohanan Over Deepika Padukone For Beyond The Clouds!
- Kangana Ranaut On Rejecting 'Beyond The Clouds': Why Would I Take On Such A Submissive Role?
- Catfight Brewing Between Kriti Sanon & Shraddha Kapoor! Sushant Singh Rajput To Be Blamed?
- Deepika Padukone Ends Cold War With Katrina Kaif; Does The Unexpected On Her Birthday!
- Irrfan Khan Health Update: The Actor Is Doing Great! He Sings & Records Songs, Says Vishal Bhardwaj
- IFFM Awards 2018: Ranbir Kapoor's Sanju & Deepika Padukone's Padmaavat Lead The Nominations!
Majid Majidi is known for his unique sensitivity in portraying day-to-day life which he imbues with beauty and empathy. His "Children of Heaven", which was remade in India, was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Foreign Language category.
"Beyond the Clouds" is the story of Amir (Ishaan Khatter), who is on the run from the cops and finds his estranged sister Tara (Malavika Mohanan), who in a bid to protect her brother lands up in jail. Their entire lives have been clouded by despair but then they find hope, unexpectedly.
Majid On Casting Malavika Mohanan
Majidi wanted an Indian face for his film and found Mohanan perfect for Tara's role.
"Malavika's face was very important for me because I wanted an Indian face, especially for international audiences to have this immediate impression that she is from India.
"First, we shot the scenes out of the jail, and then after one month, I told her she has to lose weight. She had to be thin for the portion inside the jail and she worked hard to do that."
Majid On His First Meeting With Ishaan
When Majidi first saw the audition footage of Ishaan for "Beyond the Clouds", he liked it and thought of meeting him in person. In the first meeting, the director, however, was not very impressed with the aspiring actor.
"The first time I met Ishaan, (he) was (wearing) a sporty T-shirt, (had) muscles and was trying to sit in a very macho way. I looked at him and said, 'Your face is working, but I have a big problem with your body. Tone down your body, reduce the muscles.
"Next time, he wore a large T-shirt and sat with a hunch."
Struggling People Are My Heroes
The Iranian director has always been fascinated with Ray's cinematic outlook and how his heroes come from everyday life, something that he feels is missing in Indian cinema today.
"Satyajit Ray's films had an effect on me. (They inspired me) to follow a certain interpretation of life. And (I would like) to influence younger generation. In 'Pather Panchali', there is a respect that he has for his hero, even in the poverty. His heroes come from this class of society and they are trying for life," Majidi told PTI in an interview.
"Struggling people are my heroes. I am not glorifying poverty, it is bad. (But) I believe that a person has a lot of interior values that we do not see," he adds.
Majid Feels India Is Close To Iran
The director says it was a dream come true to set one of his films in India, which he believes, is culturally very close to Iran.
"I always wanted to make a film in India as it is a dramatic country with dramatic locations. The streets and the alleys of Bombay are full of stories, something that you can't find anywhere else. I always wondered why we do not see such kind of stories in Indian cinema.Apart from Satyajit Ray, Shyam Benegal and Mira Nair, you rarely find these stories in the cinema here."
Inputs From PTI