- John Abraham On Garam Masala 2: I Have Discussed It With Akshay Kumar
- Akshay Kumar's Next To Revolve Around The Plight Of Farmers? He Calls It Lakhpati Kisaan!
- Controversy Over Rustom Costume: Akshay Kumar Says He Will Support His Wife Twinkle Khanna
- Fire Breaks Out On Sets Of Akshay Kumar Starrer 'Kesari' In Maharashtra
- Yeh Hai Mohabbatein’s Divyanka Tripathi Wants To Do A Film With Akshay Kumar!
- Aamir Khan Suggests Changes In Mogul Script, Does Not Want The Film To Focus On This Controversy?
- Kangana Ranaut Finally Opens Up, Reveals The Real Reason Why She Is Not On Social Media!
- Kesari: Akshay Kumar Has A 'Baisakhi' Surprise For All His Fans!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan WARNS Akshay Kumar & It Has Got To Do Something With Her Son Taimur!
- Aamir Khan Doesn't Give A Damn To Akshay Kumar's UGLY SPAT With Bhushan Kumar; Mogul Is In His Radar
- Radhika Apte: Online Platforms Are Much More Bold & Daring As Compared To Movies!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Grabs A Mega Project Opposite These Two Superstars? Also Spotted At An Event
Actor Akshay Kumar says that he wanted to work in socially conscious films for a long time but now has the financial support to take up such projects.
The actor along with wife Twinkle Khanna, director R Balki, Radhika Apte and Arunachalam Muruganantham, whose life and initiative of making affordable sanitary inspired the film "Padman", was in the city to promote the film.
Akshay Always Wanted To Make Social Films
"I always wanted to work and make such films but I was not a producer during that time. I didn't had enough money but now I can. My wife told me about Muruganantham and then we met R Balki. So we thought about making this movie," Akshay told reporter.
‘Even Hollywood Has Not A Film On Sanitary Pads’
"Even Hollywood has not a film on sanitary pads or menstrual hygiene. People always make documentaries but they don't want to make commercial films. We have tried to do that," he added.
Muruganantham Reacts To Celebs’ Accepting ‘Padman’ Challenge
Talking about Padman Challenge which has caught the eyes of celebs like Aamir Khan, Alia Bhatt and others, Muruganantham said he wanted spread awareness about menstrual hygiene through the initiative.
"I just want to spread awareness about menstrual hygiene. So far only women speak about it.
I want men to start speaking about it. Every father, brother and husband should know about menstruation. It is not just about women, it is about men too," Muruganantham said.
How Twinkle Came Across Muruganantham's Story
Twinkle said she came across Muruganantham's story while researching about menstruation online and found it to be an "incredible story" to tell.
"I was doing some research and reading some columns on menstruation and I came across Muruganantham's story."
"Immediately it gripped me because this was an incredible story. There were two parts to this story. One part was menstruation where a man was doing something for his wife," said Twinkle.
"It was also a story about innovation where a man was not limited by his educational qualifications or his lack of proficiency in English and he goes on to become an innovator. So even if we want to give a message across, we have to give it in an entertaining way. If it is not going to interest people then they will not watch the movie," she added.
Padman also stars Sonam Kapoor in a pivotal role and is scheduled to release on February 9.