TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- PM Modi Attends Swearing-In Ceremony Of Maldives New President, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
- Free OnePlus 6T On Upcoming Black Friday Sale — Here's How
- Jawa Vs Royal Enfield — A Brief Comparison
- Salman Khan's Bharat Movie, Hoists Pakistani Flag In Indian Soil; Locals Upset
- The Health Wonders of Arugula: The Mediterranean Wonder Plant
- Did You Know That Cashback On Shopping Is Taxable?
- Winter Destinations In Uttarakhand
- Lakshya Sen Enters Semifinals Of World Junior Badminton Championship
The Delhi gang-rape case known as the Nirabhaya case which took place on 16th December 2012 had left the entire nation in shock and deep anger. Now almost 6 years later, the justice has finally been served. Bollywood actresses like Priyanka Chopra, Anushka Sharma and Bhumi Pednekar hailed the Supreme Court's verdict to uphold the death sentence to four convicts who gangraped and murdered a young Delhi professional in 2012. The apex Court on Monday rejected review petitions filed by three of the four convicts, saying it lacked grounds for a review.
Convicts Mukesh, 29, Pawan Gupta, 22, and Vinay Sharma, 23, had sought recall of the Supreme Court's May 5, 2017 verdict upholding the death sentence awarded by a trial court and confirmed by the Delhi High Court. The fourth, Akshay Kumar Singh, 31, had not filed for a review.
Several big names from the film industry reacted to the verdict and took to Twitter to express their thoughts-
"Justice delayed but not denied... the Supreme Court of India sends out a strong signal to perpetrators of these heinous crimes. Now, justice for the rest, so that we have no more Nirbhayas. Nirbhaya verdict."
"Her pain lives in us all. Nirbhaya verdict."
"All the moms will understand the plight of Nirbhaya case. This decision reaffirms our faith in Indian judiciary. Let's'hope for safer future."
"Finally, justice has been served and a much needed example has been set. Nirbhaya verdict."
"For a crime as barbaric as it was, I'm one with the nation's emotion. Finally justice has been served."
"Thank you Supreme Court for dismissing the plea against death penalty for convicts in Nirbhaya case.. but justice is delayed, for every daughter. They need to be punished soon, even the juvenile released."
(Inputs from IANS)