- Joan Rivers' Will: Daughter Melissa Gets $150 Million Fortune
- Celebrities Who Died In 2014: Earl Hayes, Robin Williams & More
- Red Carpets Won't Be Same Without Joan Rivers: Salma Hayek
- Joan Rivers' Epic Funeral To Be Held On Sunday In New York
- The Best Quotes Of Joan Rivers We Would Remember
- Lindsay Lohan in Twitter fight with comedienne Joan Rivers
After suffering a cardiac arrest, the legendary American Comedienne Joan Rivers died on Thursday in a New York hospital. Joan was admitted a week ago after suffering from cardiac arrest, her daughter said. The comedian was 81.
"It is with great sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Joan Rivers. She passed peacefully at 1.17 p.m. surrounded by family and close friends," Efe quoted Melissa Rivers as saying in a statement.
The comedian, host of E! television's Fashion Police, was admitted on an urgent basis to Mount Sinai Hospital last Thursday after having respiratory problems during throat surgery and she was kept on life support.
"My son (Cooper) and I would like to thank the doctors, nurses, and staff of Mount Sinai Hospital for the amazing care they provided for my mother," Melissa Rivers said.
Joan Alexandra Molinsky, the daughter of Russian Jewish immigrants, grew up in suburban New York and graduated from Barnard College.
She performed in New York comedy clubs in the early 1960s and her first television appearance was on "The Tonight Show", then hosted by Jack Paar.