- Ricky Gervais Believes He Is Already Married To Jane Fallon
- Ricky Gervais Wants To Present The Next Oscars!
- Golden Globes 2015 Nominations, British Actors Lead
- James Franco may use Ricky Gervais' jokes at Oscars
- Confusion between Ricky Gervais-Golden Globes resolved?
- Ricky Gervais refuses to host Golden Globes again
Ghost Town actor Ricky Gervais has slammed the society on the fixation with stardom and says, the so-called celebrity culture is dumbing down the society.
The 55-year-old British actor is amazed at the society's fixation with fame and says it has a very devastating effect on people's behaviour. He believes, stars nowadays would love to get trolled and ridiculed just for the sake of fame, rather than keeping a low profile.
"There's no difference now between fame and infamy. I don't know where it's going to end. We've got trolls which are rewarded with a column in a newspaper. People would rather be laughed at and despised than not be known. They need to go, 'I was here'," said Gervais.
"People want a voice and they get desperate and go, 'Look at me.' Serial killers want to be famous. Not all celebrities are terrible. But it's often the ones who shout loudest that get heard. I think it is quite dangerous," he added.
The star comedian also said that various reality shows and talent shows are to be blamed for this sudden gush of fame fixation among celebrities. He pointed at shows like The X Factor and said this could actually bring down the societal behaviour to the bottom.