- Mohanlal's Latest Click From Odiyan Is Indeed a Stunner!
- Mohanlal's Neerali To Be Bigger Than Pulimurugan In Terms Of VFX?
- Mohanlal In Odiyan: Here's What Sathyan Anthikkad Has To Say After Visiting The Sets!
- Manju Warrier & Indrajith Starrer Mohanlal To Be A Vishu Release!
- Mohanlal & Prithviraj's Lucifer To Begin In June?
- Mohanlal Releases An All-new Still Of Him As Odiyan Manikyan!
- Mayaanadhi: Mohanlal Is All Praises For The Movie!
- Mohanlal Races Ahead Of Superstar Rajinikanth & Here Is How!
- Is A Mohanlal-Mani Ratnam Movie On Cards?
- Mohanlal Starrer Villain's Tamil & Telugu Versions Are On Their Way!
- Mohanlal's Randamoozham: Jackie Chan To Be Part Of This Magnum Opus?
- Mohanlal Movie Teaser: A Grand Celebration In The Offing For Mohanlal Fans!
- It’s Mohanlal In Ranjith’s Next Directorial Venture!
It was 23 years back, the very same day, that Malayalam cinema witnessed the arrival of one of the most powerful male characters ever seen. Yes, we are talking about Mangalassery Neelakandan of Devasuram.
Even now, the film Devasuram has a cult fan following which probably no other film enjoys. Here are some of the reasons for why we still love Devasuram.
Mangalassery Neelakandan is an iconic character. Not before and not after that, we have seen such a character which is an embodiment of absolute manliness. The character has been inspired from a real life person named Mullassery Rajagopal.
Bhanumathi – The Iron Lady
Bhanumathi played by Revathi is one of the strongest female characters in Malayalam cinema. She is the girl who stood by her decision and at the same time remained the biggest strength and support for Neelakandan during his tough times.
A Powerful Villain
Less often we get to see a villain character with an identity. Mundakkal Sekharan was one such character. An able foe to the manly Mangalassery Neelakandan.
Devasuram had some brilliant characters. Be it Warrier played by Innocent or the gang of friends of Neelakandan. Each character had an identity of its own.
Craftsmanship Of The Master
The film really required someone of the caliber of I V Sasi to helm the project. He, being a master craftsman, did the best for the script by Ranjith.
Devasuram brought Ranjith to limelight as one of the most valuable scriptwriters of the industry. The film had a tight script which had the soul of the story. The dialogues of the film had that element of mass and class mixed in right proportion.
Devasuram is one of the most aired films in the Television channels. This alone shows the popularity the film has among the masses.
The film which released in the year 1993 was one of the biggest hits of that year with the film completing 100 days of run in many theatres.
Scripted by Ranjith, the film has some well-written moments and power-packed poetic dialogues, something which was fresh to Malayalam cinema those days.
It was through Devasuram that Ranjith and IV Sasi joined hands again, after their first project Neelagiri which had Mammootty in the lead role.
Years later, Ranjith wrote a sequel to this film and titled it Raavanaprabhu. Ranjith made his debut as a director through this film.
Much like its prequel, Raavanaprabhu too, became a huge hit. The film went on to appeal the masses.