- Manju Warrier & Indrajith Starrer Mohanlal To Be A Vishu Release!
- Mohanlal & Prithviraj's Lucifer To Begin In June?
- Mohanlal Releases An All-new Still Of Him As Odiyan Manikyan!
- Mayaanadhi: Mohanlal Is All Praises For The Movie!
- Mohanlal Races Ahead Of Superstar Rajinikanth & Here Is How!
- Is A Mohanlal-Mani Ratnam Movie On Cards?
- Mohanlal Starrer Villain's Tamil & Telugu Versions Are On Their Way!
- Mohanlal's Randamoozham: Jackie Chan To Be Part Of This Magnum Opus?
- Mohanlal Movie Teaser: A Grand Celebration In The Offing For Mohanlal Fans!
- Mohanlal All Set To Deliver Yet Another Super Hit Song!
- 'Manikya Malaraya Poovi' From Oru Adaar Love Beats Jimikki Kammal's Record!
- Has Mohanlal Replaced Suresh Gopi In Lelam 2?
- STUNNING! Aadu 2 Breaks The Big Record Of Pulimurugan!
Mohanlal, is the undisputed king of box office. He has proved that over and again, with the magnificent run of his films at the box office. Making and breaking records is nothing new to the actor and his movies.
Pulimurugan, which has now crossed the 100-Crore mark at the box office, is the biggest hit of this year, so far. In all probabilities, the film might end up as the biggest hit of this year. Here we are listing 5 such instances when Mohanlal movies emerged as the top grosser of a year.(Only movies from the year 2000 onwards have been considered).
Narasimham - 2000
Narasimham, which released in the year 2000, did make it big at the box office. The film emerged as the biggest hit of the year and at the same time, the movie went on to become an industry hit, grossing close to 20 Crores at the box office, something which was quite rare in those days.
Balettan - 2003
Balettan, which released during the Onam season of 2003, paved way for the powerful comeback of Mohanlal, after a series of flops. The film marked the return of Mohanlal to common man roles and the family audiences whole-heartedly accepted the move. Balettan emerged as the highest grosser of the year 2003.
Twenty-20 - 2008
Well, Twenty-20 was a multi-starrer and it had all the big stars of the Malayalam film industry in it. But, the film was more or less about the two big M's, Mammootty and Mohanlal, and we saw them in full glory. Mohanlal won lot of praises for his performance as Devaraja Prathapa Varma. The film, without any doubt, was the highest grosser of the year.
Christian Brothers - 2011
Christian Brothers, was yet another multi-starrer, which had Mohanlal in the lead role. The film directed by Joshiy did mint huge collections at the box office, despite getting mixed reviews. Christian Brothers was the biggest hit of the year 2011.
Drishyam - 2013
Drishyam was released during the Chrsitmas season of the year 2013. The film, which had a slow start initially, cruised ahead at the box office, breaking all the past records. The movie, which fetched 75 Crores worldwide, emerged as an industry hit.
As mentioned above, only movies from the year 2000 onwards have been considered. In the 80s and 90s, there were many more such instances where a Mohanlal movie emerged as the top grosser of a year.
In fact, the year 2016, so far, belongs to Mohanlal, in all aspects. The second biggest hit of this year, so far, is the Mohanlal starrer Oppam, which has minted close to 60 Crores. The actor has one more release in the form of Jibu Jacob's Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol, which would hit the theatres on December 22, 2016.