- 7 Performances That Prove Mohanlal Is The King Of Song Sequences!
- Flashback! A Look Into Prominent Malayalam Movies Released In the Year 1991!
- 10 Mohanlal Roles Which Probably No Other Actor Could Do!
- When Music Became The Central Theme: 8 Malayalam Films Based On Music!
- Mohanlal Completes 35 Years Of Acting Career!
- "No New Actors... Existing Stars too Old"
- Manju Warrier & Indrajith Starrer Mohanlal To Be A Vishu Release!
- Mohanlal & Prithviraj's Lucifer To Begin In June?
- Mohanlal Releases An All-new Still Of Him As Odiyan Manikyan!
- Mayaanadhi: Mohanlal Is All Praises For The Movie!
- Mohanlal Races Ahead Of Superstar Rajinikanth & Here Is How!
- Is A Mohanlal-Mani Ratnam Movie On Cards?
- Mohanlal Starrer Villain's Tamil & Telugu Versions Are On Their Way!
'Bharatham' directed by Sibi Malayil, for many reasons, is considered to be one of the classics of Malayalam cinema. The film which starred Mohanlal and Nedumudi Venu in the lead roles was released in the year 1991.
So, it has been 25 years since the release of 'Bharatham'. Here we take you through some of the interesting facts about the film.
Second Movie Of Pranavam Arts
Bharatham was the second movie that came under Mohanlal's home banner Pranavam Arts. This film came immediately after 'His Highness Abdulla' which also had music as the central theme.
The Subject That Paved Way For 'Bharatham'
Initially, Sibi Malayil and Lohithadas had plans of making a movie with another subject. Since, they came to know about another movie which was getting made at that time with a similar subject, they opted for a fresh theme, which eventuallyturned out to be 'Bharatham'.
Mohanlal got his first National Award for the Best Actor through this film. K J Yesudas also went on to win the National award for the Best Singer. Music Director Raveendran won a Special Jury Award for the musicof this film.
A Part Of Trilogy
'Bharatham' was the second movie of the art/music based trilogy of Sibi Malayil - Mohanlal - Lohithadas- Raveendran team. 'His Highness Abdullah' and 'Kamaladalam' were the other two films of the trilogy.
Critical And Commercial Success
The film was a big commercial success and also gained critical acclaim. It got remade to Tamil by the name 'Seenu' which had Karthik doing the lead role. P Vasu directed the Tamil remake of the film which released in the year 2000.
The film got released on 29th March, 1991 and it opened to good response from the audiences. The performances, storyline and music of the film got widely appreciated.
'Bharatham' had some soulful music by Raveendran and the film is considered to be one of the best films that Malayalam cinema has produced in the musical - drama genre.
The movie narrates the relation between two brothers Kalloor Gopinathan(Mohanlal) and Kalloor Ramanathan (Nedumudi venu), both of them who are singers.
A K Lohithadas wrote the script for the movie and the film had other actors like Urvasi, Lakshmi, Kaviyoor Ponnama, Murali, Oduvil Unnikrishnan etc doing prominent roles.