- Dulquer Salmaan Showers Praises On Kunchacko Boban & Here Is Why!
- Kunchacko Boban's New Avatar Is A Big Treat for His Fans!
- Jayaram & Kunchacko Boban In Panchavarnathatha: A Glance At Their Looks From The Movie!
- Kunchacko Boban To Team Up With This Superhit Film-maker?
- Shikkari Shambhu Box Office: 5 Days Collections
- Shikkari Shambhu Movie Review: A Thoroughly Entertaining Hunt!
- Jayaram-Kunchacko Boban Team's Panchavarnathatha Goes On Floors!
- Malayalam Movies 2017: The Underrated Performances Of The Year!
- Diwanji Moola Grand Prix Movie Review: Another Decent Thrissur-based Flick!
- Kunchacko Boban's 2017: Yet Another Fantastic Year For The Actor In Him!
- Diwanjimoola Grand Prix To Hit The Theatres This Date!
- WOW! This Kunchacko Boban Starrer To Get A Tamil Remake?
- Prem Nazir, Pulimurugan & More: Mollywood Entrants To The Guinness World Records!
Kunchacko Boban is all set to relaunch his family banner 'Udaya Pictures' with the movie Kochauvaa Paulo Ayyapa Coelho directed by Sidharth Siva. 'Udaya Studios' was once the face of Malayalam cinema and the pride of the industry.
Here we present a few unknown facts about Udaya and some of the major films produced under this banner.
'Udaya Studios' was founded by Kunchacko in the year 1947, showing a new pathway for Malayalam Cinema to travel.
Jeevitha Nouka (1951)
Jeevitha Nouka starring Thikkurrissi Sukumaran Nair is one of the most important films produced by Kunchacko. This film was produced by him along with his friend K V Koshy. Jeevitha Nouka is considered to be the first 'Super Hit' film in the history of Malayalam Cinema.
Shakunthala produced under the banner of Udaya is a milestone in the history Malayalam Cinema as it introduced the first female scriptwriter to the industry through Lalithambika Antharjanam.
The Introducer Of Vadakkan Paattu Based Films
Udaya Studios started off the trend of producing movies based on Vadakkan paattu. Unniyarcha, directed by Kunchacko himself, paved way for many other films based on Vadakkan paattu.
Other Vadakkan Paatu Films
Unniyarcha was followed by other films like Palattu Koman, Othenante Makan, Aromalunni, Thumbolarcha, Thacholi Ambu produced by the same banner, with most of them enjoying success.
Most of these films were shot indoor erecting huge sets within the Udaya Studios located in Aleppey.
Pazhassi Raja (1964)
Udaya was the first to produce a film based on Pazhassi Raja with Kottarakkara Sreedharan Nair, doing the lead role. This movie also introduced a new music director in the form of R K Sekhar.
Ningalenne Communistaakki (1970)
This film based on the famous socio-political play was produced under the banner of Udaya. The film directed by Thoppil Bhaasi had Prem Nazir and Sheela doing the lead roles.
Rivalry With Merryland Studio
Udaya Studios had a healthy rivalry between Merryland studio, owned by P Subramaniam, with both the banners giving some excellent films to Malayalam Cinema.
'Udaya Pictures' has produced more than 75 plus films in Malayalam, of which majority of them enjoyed success. Most of the films were directed by Kunchacko himself, but the banner also worked with other prominent directors like A Vincent, K S Sethumadhavan etc.
The banner has been inactive for the past 30 years and the relaunch of the banner under the guidance of Kunchacko Boban is a welcome sign for Malayalam Cinema.
Being the oldest production house of Malayalam Cinema, Udaya Pictures have played a good hand in taking Malayalam Cinema forward in the right direction, laying foundation for the present status the industry is enjoying.
Films produced under the banner of Udaya catered to all sections of the audiences alike. Their films equally carried good entertainment quotient and message value. Let us wish them all the best and hope that the banner would continue to give us quality films.