- Narain To Become An Action Hero
- Mollywood Gets Four Releases Today!
- Mollywood's October Releases
- Narain's Red Rain, The Real Rain Mystery
- Dulquer Salmaan Releases The First Look Poster Of Theevandi!
- Mayaanadhi Will Hit The UAE/GC Screens On This Date!
- Tovino Thomas Replaces Prithviraj In This Upcoming Big Project!
- Tovino Thomas's Oru Kuprasidha Payyan: The First Look Is Out!
- Tovino Thomas Roped In For Mohanlal's Lucifer?
- Tovino Thomas & Guppy Director To Join Hands Once Again!
- Mayaanadhi Box Office: A Steady Performance By Aashiq Abu Movie
- Tovino Thomas’s 2017: A Prosperous Year for The Actor & The Star In Him!
- Mayaanadhi: Praises Are Pouring In For The Movie!
There is a particular genre that has not been tried and tested much in Malayalam films. Yes, we are talking about science fiction films, which are very rare to find in Malayalam cinema.
Only a very few films in Malayalam have dealt with such kind of subject. Take a look at some of the science fiction movies in Malayalam.
Karutha Rathrikal (1967)
This film directed by Mahesh is the first notable science fiction movie in Malayalam. The film had Madhu in the lead role and he played the role of a doctor who invents a medicine that creates split personality among people.
Jaithra Yaathra (1987)
Jaithra Yaathra directed by J Sasikumar is another science fiction film which had Nizhalkal Ravi and Thilakan in the lead role. The film is about a locket that helps people to go invisible.
Vinayan came up with the film Athisayan, which was based on the English film Hulk. The film had Jacky Shroff in the role of a scientist who is working on a project that would make people go invisible.
Bharathan Effect (2007)
This film written by Madhu Muttam and directed by Anil Das revolved around a person named Bharathan, who makes an invention that leads to the creation of a flying object that uses the concept of anti-gravity. The film had Biju Menon in the lead role.
Red Rain (2013)
The film directed by Rahul Sadasivan is the first Malayalam film that did take a look into the extraterrestrial life. The film which had Narain in the lead role did win lot of appreciations for its making.
It has to be noted that, most of the films in the above list didn't find much success at the box-office. This might be the reason why Malayalam film-makers are reluctant to make films of this genre.
Moreover, science fiction movies are being made in big industries like Bollywood and Hollywood, that too, under a big budget, which is a prerequisite for such kind of films.
Recently, the Tamil film 24 directed by Vikram Kumar with Suriya in the lead role got released and was a big success in Kerala also. Malayalam films, with the very limited market they have, can't afford to make movies with a large-scale budget.
But, according to the reports, Malayalam cinema will get its first time-travel movie soon. The film which has been titled as Tik Tok will be directed by debutante Vivek Anirudh. The film will have Tovino Thomas in the lead role.
We hope that the movie would make this genre much popular in Malayalam cinema too.