- Manju Warrier & Indrajith Starrer Mohanlal To Be A Vishu Release!
- Mohanlal & Prithviraj's Lucifer To Begin In June?
- Mohanlal Releases An All-new Still Of Him As Odiyan Manikyan!
- Mayaanadhi: Mohanlal Is All Praises For The Movie!
- Mohanlal Races Ahead Of Superstar Rajinikanth & Here Is How!
- Is A Mohanlal-Mani Ratnam Movie On Cards?
- Mohanlal Starrer Villain's Tamil & Telugu Versions Are On Their Way!
- Mohanlal's Randamoozham: Jackie Chan To Be Part Of This Magnum Opus?
- Mohanlal Movie Teaser: A Grand Celebration In The Offing For Mohanlal Fans!
- Mohanlal All Set To Deliver Yet Another Super Hit Song!
- 'Manikya Malaraya Poovi' From Oru Adaar Love Beats Jimikki Kammal's Record!
- Has Mohanlal Replaced Suresh Gopi In Lelam 2?
- Take A Look! The Best Fantasy Movies In Malayalam!
Today, the entire world is talking about the Oscars, the biggest movie awards on the planet.. The results of the 89th Academy Awards are out and we take this opportunity to congratulate each and every winner of Oscars 2017.
So far, Indian films have not got the deserved recognition at the Oscars. Each year, one film from India will be send to the category of Best Foreign Language Film.
Mollywood, which is an integral part of the Indian film industry, has had its own share of memories on the road to Oscars. No films from Malayalam have made it to the final round, but certain movies and members of the industry have tried their best to enter the final round of Academy Awards. Read on to know more about these..
Mohanlal starrer Guru, which released in the year 1997 was India's official entry to the Oscars in Best Foreign Language film category in 70th Academy Awards. The film, directed by Rajeev Anchal was a film with fantasy elements in it.
First Malayalam Film To Get An Oscar Entry
Incidentally, Guru was also the first Malayalam film to be sent as India's official entry to the Oscars. It took close to 40 years for a Malayalam movie to get an official entry to the Oscars.
Adaminte Makan Abu (2011)
Salim Ahmed's debut directorial venture Adaminte Makan Abu, that featured Salim Kumar in the lead role was India's official entry to the Oscars for the 84th Academy Awards.
The Story Of An Old Couple
Adaminte Makan Abu, narrated the life an old couple who are trying hard to go for Hajj. Despite being a quality film, Adaminte Makan Abu failed to find a nomination in the top 9 foreign language films. Earlier, the film had won the Best Film Award at the National Awards.
Jayaraj's most recent release, Veeram, which is a multi-lingual film was initially a part of the Oscar race. One of English songs of the film, 'We Will Rise',composed by Jeff Rona did find a place in the initial nomination list of Oscars for the Best Original Song.
Dam 999 (2012)
The cross-over film Dam 999, directed by Sohan Roy had its own share of ups and downs. The film did grab the headlines when three of its songs set to tune by Ouseppachan, were nominated for the 84th Academy Awards for the Best Original Score. The movie was also nominated in the list of Best Picture.
Sreevalsan J Menon
Popular music director, Sreevalsan J Menon was also a part of the Oscar race in the year 2012, when his work for the English Film Saint Dracula, was nominated for the Oscar Award for the Best Song And Best Background Score.
Last but nor the least, the biggest one among the all. Resul Pookkutty, who has worked in Malayalam films, as well, went on to win the Oscar Award for the Best Sound Mixing for the film Slumdog Millionaire at the 81st Academy Awards.
Only two Malayalam movies have been sent as India's official entry to the Oscars, so far. Interestingly, popular Malayalam film-maker Bharathan's Tamil movie Thevar Magan was India's official entry to the Oscars at the 65th Academy Awards.
Well, with new ideas coming in to the Malayalam film industry, we hope that Malayalam movies would go global in the coming years.