- Nivin Pauly's Stylish Look For Mikhayel Is Sure To Grab The Attention Of All!
- Nivin Pauly Is Heavily Impressed With The Trailer Of Prithviraj's Ranam!
- Nivin Pauly & Unni Mukundan To Team Up Once Again!
- Kayamkulam Kochunni All Set To Hit The Screens On This Date?
- Kayamkulam Kochunni Has Scored Big With Its Pre-release Business!
- Nivin Pauly's Kayamkulam Kochunni Sets Up A New Pre-release Record?
- Nivin Pauly Had A Narrow Escape During The Shoot Of Kayamkulam Kochunni!
- Nivin Pauly's Kayamkulam Kochunni: Meet The Star Cast Of The Movie Through The Character Posters!
- Nivin Pauly Makes An Official Announcement Regarding His Upcoming Film!
- Kayamkulam Kochunni Trailer: A Fascinating Cinematic Experience Is On The Way!
- Kayamkulam Kochunni: The First Look Poster Of The Nivin Pauly Starrer Is Out!
- Nivin Pauly’s Special Message On Dhadha’s Birthday Will Win Your Hearts!
Let us get back to 2015, a year that was more than a splendid one for Malayalam films; a year which saw youngsters like Nivin Pauly, Prithviraj, Dulquer Salmaan etc., ruling the box office.
The month of May 2015 was worth remembering as towards the fag end of the month Nivin Pauly and team came up with the movie Premam, which won the hearts of the audiences.
More often than less, we have seen Tamil films that make a big release in Kerala overpowering the Malayalam movies, that release along with it.
But, the year 2015 set the stage for an opposite scene. Yes, we got to witness Nivin Pauly & Co. overpowering the might of the Suriya starrer Mass (Massu Engira Massilamani).
It was on May 29, 2015 that Nivin Pauly starrer Premam and Suriya's Mass made it to the theatres. Along with these two movies, Ivide starring Prithviraj and Nivin Pauly in the lead roles also hit the theatres on the same day.
Mass – A Big Release
Mass, the film which marked the first association of Suriya and popular film-maker Venkat Prabhu came in amidst huge expectations. The film had a big release in Kerala with the Suriya starrer grabbing close to 110 odd screens.
Premam, which also made it to the theatres on May 29, 2016 got comparatively lesser number of screens. The film got released in close to 80 theatres but with the positive word of mouth the number of centres were increased.
Mass (Massu Engira Maassilamani) VS Premam
Many pitted Premam to bow down in front of the mightiness of Mass. But, what happened was exactly opposite. Mass, that received extremely negative reviews went down in Kerala on its initial day itself. On the other hand, Premam got a solid start.
First Weekend – Premam Ruled The Battle
For the first time, we got to witness a Malayalam film fetching huge box office collections than a big Tamil movie that released along with it. Tickets for Premam went sold out like hot cakes whereas there was a considerable reduction in the number of shows for Mass in Kerala.
Premam In Tamil Nadu
Well, the Premam wave did hit the Tamil Nadu circuits, as well. Mass couldn't satisfy the audiences out there. But Premam, which released later in the state fetched huge fan following. The movie even completed 200 days of its run in a theatre in Chennai.
Well, this incident was rather an eye-opener for the Malayalam film industry. The incident proved that what the Kerala audiences want is quality content and whenever they get such movies, they will whole-heartedly accept it, even if there are other big fishes in the offing.