- Mammootty's Peranbu Fetches The Praises Of An Internationally Acclaimed Film-maker
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Box Office: Becomes The Third Malayalam Movie To Breach This Big Landmark!
- Here’s How Mammootty & Mohanlal Fans Had A Gala Time Last Week!
- Mammootty's Stunning Performance From This Movie Continues To Win Praises!
- YSR Biopic: The Teaser Of Mammootty’s Yatra Is Terrific
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Box Office: The Mammootty Starrer Is In The Race To Become The Top Grosser!
- After Playing Mohanlal's Villain, The Actor To Turn Mammootty’s Father In An Upcoming Movie?
- This Sequel To Mammootty's Blockbuster Movie To Begin In August?
- Mammootty, Mohanlal & Other Celebrities At AMMA General Body Meeting 2018!
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Box Office Report: How Much Has The Film Collected So Far?
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Box Office: The Film Successfully Passes The Weekdays' Test!
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Box Office Success: Mammootty & Team Celebrate By Cutting A Cake!
Today, we are taking you back to the year 1997, when the Malayalam film industry was ruled by three big superstars, Mammootty, Mohanlal and Suresh Gopi.
Be it for Mammootty or Mohanlal, the year 1997 was indeed a special one, in there own aspects. For Suresh Gopi, who entered the league of superstars in the mid 1990's, the year did provide a major breakthrough, as well.
1997 was definitely a major landmark for the Malayalam film industry, as a whole. Here, we take you through a quick round-up of that year to let you know how the year was indeed a good one for Mammootty, Mohanlal, Suresh Gopi and the entire film fraternity. Read on..
Mammootty didn't have any big hits in the year 1997, but he got to portray some well-written roles with the films released in that year. And prominent among them was his role in the film Bhoothakannadi. The actor won a lot of praises for the portrayal of the character in the movie.
It was a notable year for Mohanlal. He gave some real big hits in the form of movies like Chandralekha and Aaraam Thampuran. At the same time, we got to witness the brilliance in the actor in him with quality movies like Iruvar and Guru. In fact, Iruvar also marked his debut in Tamil movies as the lead actor.
How can Suresh Gopi forget this particular year? It was in 1997 that the actor's career defining movie Kaliyattam graced the theatres. He won various awards, including the National Film Award for the Best Actor for his performance in the film.
Race At The National Film Awards
Interestingly, the National Film Awards for the year 1997 witnessed a rare contest. For the title of the Best Actor title, Mammootty(Bhoothakannadi), Mohanlal (Iruvar), Suresh Gopi (Kaliyattam) and Balachandra Menon (Samaantharangal) were in the final round.
In fact, it was a proud moment for all Keralites since as many as four Malayalam actors were fighting it out with each other for the title. Finally, the title was jointly shared by Suresh Gopi and Balachandra Menon.
Jayaraj - The Best Director
Film-maker Jayaraj, who made Kaliyattam, which was based on William Shakespeare's Othello, won the National Film Award for the Best Director for his work in the film. He went on to become one among the very few Malayalam film-makers who have won the title.
Rise Of A Young Star
The year 1997 also witnessed the arrival of a young actor, who later went on to become the heart-throb of many. Yes, we are talking about Kunchacko Boban, who rose to stardom, with his debut movie Aniyathirpravu, which was a big success at the box office.
For The First Time In Oscars
It was a proud moment for the Malayalam film industry, when one of its products was send as India's official entry to the Oscar. Thus, Malayalam movie Guru released in 1997, directed by Rajiv Anchal, went on to become the first ever Malayalam film to join the Oscar race.
Well, the above mentioned factors are solely enough to tag the year 1997 as a memorable one. On a pleasant note, we got to witness the star as well as the actor in celebrities like Mammootty, Mohanlal and Suresh Gopi.
The year 1997 was also the year of some big hits. Movies like Aaraam Thampuran, Chandralekha, Lelam, Aniyathipraavu etc., did set the cash registers ringing and were declared as blockbusters.