- Mammootty's Abrahaminte Santhathikal Steals All The Thunder, Just With The Posters Alone!
- Mammootty-Biju Menon Team: A Look At The Best Movies Of The Less-talked About On-screen Combo!
- Rajinikanth VS Mammootty VS Mohanlal: A Phenomenal Competition Awaits!
- Mammootty's Kunjali Marakkar Team Planning A Big Surprise For This Eid?
- Mammootty’s Raja 2 To Hit The Theatres In the First Quarter Of Next Year?
- Asianet Film Awards 2018 Photos: Mammootty, Kamal Haasan, Dulquer Salmaan & Others Attend The Event!
- Uncle Box Office Collections: A Good Opening In The UAE!
- Mammootty's Maamaankam: The New Fan Made Poster Of The Movie Goes Viral!
- When Mammootty Handed Over The Trophy To Parvathy At Asianet Film Awards 2018!
- Mammootty To Play A Cop In This Much Awaited Film?
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal: The Third Poster Of The Mammootty Starrer Is Out & It Is A Stunner!
- This Mammootty Starrer Has Yet Another Feather On Its Cap!
Malayalam actors embarking on a journey to try their luck in other language industries, is a common sight these days. Even our big superstars like Mammootty and Mohanlal have tried their hands at films of other languages.
Now, with Malayalam films going global, Malayalam actors too, have expanded their fan base and popularity. But, not many Malayalam actors have been able to fetch big awards for their performances in movies from Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and other languages.
Most recently, Malayalam actor Prithviraj, who is a much popular star in Kollywood, as well, went on to win the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for the Best Actor in a Negative Role. It was his portrayal of the character Gomathi Nayagam Pillai in the film Kaaviya Thalaivan, which fetched him this award.
It is not for the first time that a Malayalam actor is winning an award for a performance in another language. Even in the past, Malayalam actors have went on to mark their big presence with their performances in movies of other film industries.
Here, we take you through those Malayalam actors who have won awards for other language movies.
Mammootty has acted in films of most of the South Indian languages. He has also appeared in a couple of Bollywood movies. In fact, he also holds the distinction of having acted in an English movie.
He played the lead role in the biopic of Dr. B R Ambedkar and he went on to win the National Film Award for the Best Actor, for his spectacular performance in the movie.
He is the only Malayalam actor, who has won the National Film Award for the Best Actor, for a performance in other language movie.
Complete Actor Mohanlal is a popular figure in other language industries, as well. Company, his debut film in Bollywood, fetched him the award for the Best Performance In A Supporting Role at the 4th edition of IIFA Awards. He is the only Malayalam actor to have won an IIFA award from Bollywood.
Later, his performance in the 2016 Telugu movie Janatha Garage, fetched him a special jury mention at the 64th National Film Awards. His performance in the movie also fetched him awards at other private award ceremonies, as well.
Jayaram is one of the most popular Malayalam actors in Tamil cinema. In fact, he has appeared in a good number of Tamil movies, as well. Interestingly, the actor is a recipient of the Tamil Nadu State Film Award, as well.
The actor's performance in the film Thenali (2000), in which he played the role of a doctor, fetched him a special prize at the Tamil Nadu State Film Awards.
Siddique, the multi-talented actor of Mollywood, has acted in some other language movies, as well. The actor, who appeared in the Telugu film Naa Bangaru Thalli (2013), won a Nandi Award for his performance in the movie. The actor won a special jury mention and he went on to become the first Keralite to win a Nandi Award.
Here is another popular Malayalam actor, who went on to win an award for his performance in a Tamil movie. Nivin Pauly's Neram, released in the year 2013, was a bilingual movie.
The film was a success in Tamil as well, and as a result the actor won the Filmfare award for the Best Debut in Tamil.
Dulquer Salmaan, the hearth-throb of South Indian cinema, has appeared in two Tamil movies, so far. His debut film in Tamil was Vaayai Moodi Pesavum, which released in the year 2014. His portrayal of the lead character in the film won him the Filmfare award for Best Debut in Tamil.