- STUNNING! Aadu 2 Breaks The Big Record Of Pulimurugan!
- Ramaleela Box Office: The Dileep Starrer Is Now Next Only To Mohanlal's Pulimurugan!
- WOW! Pulimurugan Finds A Place In The Race For The Oscars!
- Villain & Other Malayalam Movies With Maximum Number Of Shows On Day 1!
- WOW! Villain Is Next Only To Pulimurugan And The Great Father!
- Villain To Break Pulimurugan's Record Again!
- WOW! Villain Breaks The Record Of Pulimurugan
- Mohanlal's Pulimurugan: 1 Year Of The Record-breaking Blockbuster!
- YET AGAIN! Baahubali 2 Bows Down In Front Of Mohanlal's Pulimurugan!
- Mohanlal's New Look In Odiyan, The Stunning Trailer Of Villain & Other Mollywood News Of The Week!
- Mohanlal's Pulimurugan Becomes The First Ever Indian Movie To Achieve This!
- Mohanlal's Villain Sets A New Record With Satellite Rights!
- WOW! Omar Lulu's Happy Wedding To Get A Tamil Remake!
The year 2016 did bring about many lot of positive factors to the Malayalam film industry. The year proved that Malayalam film industry has the ability to fetch big hits with films like Pulimurugan and Oppam making it really big.
But apart from these most talked about factors, there are a few other important points that the year passed by proved. The year 2016, did witness some small movies making it big at the box office.
Let us take a look at some of the Malayalam movies of 2016, which emerged as big hits, despite not having big names or big budget to their credit.
Happy Wedding, which released in the month of March, along with other biggies like Aadupuliyattam was the real dark horse at the box office. The movie that featured Siju Wilson, Soubin Shahir, Sharafudheen etc., in the lead roles was directed by debutant Omar Lulu. The film, which started off slowly did get garner positive reviews and emerged as a big box office hit..
Lens, directed by Jayaprakash Radhakrishnan was brought to the theatres by Lal Jose's LJ Films. The film got that much needed initial boost with LJ Films backing the movie. In centres like Ernakulam, the film had a good run and made a mark of its own as a quality movie.
Ann Maria Kalippilaanu
Ann Maria Kalippilaanu, that featured Sara Arjun and Sunny Wayne in the lead roles had a good run at the box office. The movie garnered huge profit and satisfied major sections of the audiences.
Kattappanayile Rithwik Roshan
Well, Kattappanayile Rithwik Roshan wasn't a small movie. The film had Dileep as its producer and Nadirsha as its director. But, the movie definitely should feature in this list as the makers dared to cast somebody like Vishnu Unnikrishnan, who is relatively a newcomer, in the lead role. Importantly, the film emerged as a blockbuster and is still going strong at the theatres.
Oru Muthassi Gadha
Oru Muthassi Gadha, directed by Jude Anthany Joseph didn't have the presence of the big names of the industry. But still, the film fought hard and found a place in the hits of 2016. Despite facing stiff competition from big movies like Oppam, Oozham etc., the film went on to make a mark of its own.
Aanandam, directed by Ganesh Raj did have a host of newcomers in the lead role. The film, produced by Vineeth Sreenivasan was hailed by youngsters and family alike. The film released at a time when Pulimurugan was going great guns but still, the movie emerged as a super hit and in certain centres like Ernakulam, the movie posed a serious challenge to the Mohanlal starrer.
Well, movies like those given in the above list are the real power boosters, which would give the film-makers, producers and writers to think and come up with some variety products in the future.
More importantly, the success of the above films proved that what matters the most, is the quality of the film and if a film is good enough, it will be whole-heartedly accepted by the audiences.
We hope that this positivity will be seen in 2017, as well and the support from the audiences for such Malayalam movies would continue to pour in.