- Mohanlal & Jayaraj Were Supposed To Do A Film Together, But This Happened!
- 65th National Film Awards WInners List: Malayalam Movies Make A Huge Mark!
- Jayaraj To Direct Renji Panicker In His Next!
- Veeram Movie Review: A Grand Visual Treat, Minus Performances
- Veeram: 5 Reasons To Watch The Jayaraj-Kunal Kapoor Movie
- Before Veeram: A Journey Through The Top 5 Works Of Jayaraj!
- WOW! Aamir Khan Is All Praises For Veeram's Trailer!
- FINALLY! Jayaraj's Veeram Gets A Release Date!
- WOW! Jayaraj's Veeram Joins The Oscar Race!
- Jayaraj's Veeram To Release In January?
- Jayaraj Comes Out With An Explanation On Pulimurugan Remark!
- Veeram Will Be The First Malayalam Film To Cross 100-Crore Mark, Says Jayaraj!
Many films from different languages have tried adapting the plays of Shakespeare. While some of them turned out to be successful, certain others flopped badly.
Up to some extent, Malayalam movies and the industry have best explored the possibilities of cinematic versions of Shakespearean plays.
With Jayaraj's Veeram, which is all set to hit the theatres on February 24, 2016, Mollywood is all set to witness the cinematic adaptation of William Shakespeare's much popular play, Macbeth.
In fact, Veeram is a mix of Shakespeare's Macbeth and the story of Chanthu, from the Vadakkan Paattu.
On this note, we take you through some of the Malayalam movies, which were inspired by certain plays of William Shakespeare. Read on..
Kaliyattam - Othello
This has to be the best among the lot. The film was a direct adaptation of William Shakespeare's play Othello with the film being set around the life of a Theyyam artist. Suresh Gopi, portrayed the lead role in this film, of the character named Kannan Thirumalayan. Manju Warrier played Thamara, a character that resembles Desdemona from the original play.
Kannaki - Antony & Cleopatra
Kannaki, directed by Jayaraj was loosely based on the play Antony & Cleopatra, which is considered to be one of the most intense and complex plays of William Shakespeare. In its adaptation in Malayalam, Jayaraj casted Nandita Das as the main female lead and Lal as the male lead. The film received wide critical acclaim for its making style and performances.
Karmayogi – Hamlet
The story of Prince Hamlet and his revenge upon his uncle Claudius, will definitely feature among the best works of William Shakespeare. Malayalam film-maker V K Prakash tried his hands at the cinematic version of the play with the film Karmayogi. Indrajith played the lead role in this movie, playing a character named Rudran Gurukkal.
Annayum Rasoolum – Romeo And Juliet
Romeo And Juliet, one of the most loved and talked about plays of William Shakespeare has had many cinematic adaptations. Such is the popularity that this love story holds. In Malayalam, the film Annayum Rasoolum, directed by Rajeev Ravi was loosely inspired from this play, with Fahadh Faasil and Andrea Jeremiah stepping in to the shoes of the lead characters.
Interestingly, it is film-maker Jayaraj who has made the best use of the master's plays. With films like Kaliyattam and Kannaki, the director has already set standards.
Hence, his upcoming film Veeram, is definitely high on expectations. The movie, which features Bollywood actor Kunal Kapoor in the lead role, is expected to create the same magic as that of the director's previous movies.