TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Rs 100 Coin To Be Introduced Soon — Check It Out
- New Maruti Wagon R 2019 Spy Pics — Looks Bigger And Premium Than The Current Model
- PUBG Mobile Vikendi Snow Map To Release In December
- Central Railway Recovers Whopping Rs 125 Crore From Errant Travellers
- Here's Why You Should Celebrate Christimas The 'Pondicherry Way'
- India vs Australia: 2nd — Aussies Ahead
- Woman Gets Engaged To A Chandelier And Gets A Tattoo Of It
- Alia Bhatt Reveals Why She Looked So Sad With Ranbir Kapoor!
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Melbourne (UNI): Freedom of Thought will be setting the Socceroos on song after the five-man band from Sydney won the competition to find Australia's official Germany 2006 song. Winner of the ''Song for the Socceroos'' competition, the band is slated for their first public performance of their triumphant track, 'Green and Gold', before Australia's friendly against Greece at the Melbourne Cricket Ground here today.
Winner of the contest organised by Australian broadcaster SBS, the band members said, ''Both music and sport are art forms. They compliment each other because of the passion in both.'' The soccer World Cup is no alien to music and it dates back to 1966 when the tournament song was named after its mascot, a friendly lion called 'World Cup Willie'. The Germany 2006 mascot Goleo VI also has his own album and 'Love Generation' number is already a smashing hit. Next month's World Cup will have an official song, 'Time of Our Lives' by singing quartet Il Divo and Toni Braxton and an official anthem, 'Celebrate the Day', performed by German artist Herbert Gronemyer and the west African duo Amadou and Mariam.