TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Supreme Court Verdict On Rafale Deal Tomorrow
- Petrol Price Increased For The First Time In Nearly Two Months
- Hockey World Cup 2018 Quarter-Finals: India vs Netherlands — Updates
- Nissan Kicks Review — KICK-starting A New Statement Among Five-Seater SUVs
- Things To Know About The World's Quad Camera Smartphone
- Patiala — The Princely State Of Punjab
- Inside Pics From Isha's Wedding: Ash-Aaradhya Pose For A Pic
- She Sits In The Lake For The Entire Day — Here's Why!
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Rap star Jay-Z may bid adieu to American record label Island Def Jam and join its rival Columbia. Insiders have revealed that the singer is in negotiations with music bosses at Columbia, which is the home of his girlfriend Beyonce. The joining of Jermaine Dupri as president of the Island Urban music division in February is reported to be the reason behind Jay-Z's decision to break his association with the firm.
"There isn't room for two kings at one label. Why would Island bring in another power-hitter urban guy?" the New York Daily News quoted a source as saying.
Columbia may have a strong inclination towards hiring Jay-Z because the rapper may take with him ownership of his own master recordings. Furthermore, the firm's co-chair Rick Rubin has been planning to create a supergroup of staff.
"He's creating a supergroup of staff. So it would make sense that he would want Jay on his side," a source said.
The representatives for Columbia and Island Def Jam were unavailable for comment.