London (ANI): Late Boyzone singer Stephen Gately had smoked cannabis on the night he died, according to police sources. The 33-year-old, who was found dead in his apartment in Mallorca on Saturday, suffered a build-up of fluid in the lungs known as pulmonary oedema, which is believed to be the result of an undetected heart defect.
While it was being speculated that his death was the result of a lengthy drinking binge, court officials said the autopsy had ruled out that possibility, reports The Daily Express. Police said Gately"s partner Andy Cowles, whom he married in a civil partnership ceremony, had confirmed the singer had smoked cannabis before he died.
But they said he had died of natural causes. A source revealed that Cowles and another man present said Gately did not take any other drugs, adding “toxicology tests are being carried out to confirm this". It is not illegal to smoke cannabis in a private home in Spain.
Meanwhile, it was confirmed the singer"s former Boyzone bandmates will accompany his body back to Ireland on Friday prior to his funeral on Saturday. A memorial service will be held in London, where Gately and his partner shared their main home, at a date and venue yet to be confirmed.