TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- 2018 Election Results Updates: Ashok Gehlot & Sachin Pilot To Meet Rahul Gandhi
- Manchester City Vs Hoffenheim: City Through As Group Winners
- PTron Spunk Wireless Earphones With Bluetooth 5.0 Launched For Rs 2,999
- Bajaj Pulsar 150 ABS: Spy Pics Leaked
- Why Is December A Good Month To Invest In Stock Markets?
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Looks ROYAL At Isha Ambani's Wedding
- Sonam & Anil Kapoor's Ethnic Look At Isha Ambani's Wedding
- Kashmir — The Mise-en-Scène Of Bollywood
By: Settu Shankar
Monday, July 02, 2007
The final phase of campaigning for Taj Mahal to be in the World's Seven Wonders list is gaining momentum. Many popular stars like Khushboo and Mumtaz campaigned yesterday along with the Prince of Arcot Muhammad Ali at a function held in Chennai. Just seven days before the names of the new Seven Wonders of the World are announced, several popular celebrities in Bollywood have been campaigning to sustain the monument to have the Taj Mahal included in the list over the past few days.
Some of the Kollywood stars also registered their name in the campaign 'Vote for Taj'. Khushboo and Mumtaz were yesterday participated in a function organized by Prince of Arcot, Mohammad Ali. Khushboo said, 'Voting for the Taj Mahal is a mere duty of an Indian. It is our pride. Every Indian should vote for Taj to establish our cultural supremacy in the world."
On her part, actress Mumtaz campaigned among the people at various junctions in Chennai contributing to the 'Vote for Taj' campaign. She told: "It is a matter of pride for us. We should ensure that we get Taj Mahal in the list." Meanwhile K.K. Sharma of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has described the campaign as the 'economic exploitation of the sentiments of the Indian people" .No two monuments are alike and they should not be compared, he feels. 'It is an injustice to the status and dignity of the Taj Mahal,' he told the press.
But the ASI has circulated banners and pamphlets appealing to people to vote for the Taj though this initiative has reportedly been taken by its Bhopal circle! Indian Tourism Department also circulated publicity materials in support of Vote for Taj campaign in many cities including Chennai.