- Best Tamil Films Of 2018: Kadaikutty Singam, Irumbu Thirai, Tik Tik Tik And Others
- 2.0: The Teaser Of Rajinikanth And Akshay Kumar’s Film To Be Released On This Date?
- Karthi Starrer Kadaikutty Singam Has Overtaken Rajinikanth's Kaala?
- Vishwaroopam 2 Chennai Box Office Collections Day 1: Kamal Haasan’s Film Fails To Beat Kaala
- Abrahaminte Santhathikal Box Office Collection: The Mammotty Starrer Has Overtaken Kaala
- Thaanaa Serndha Koottam To Kaala: Most Successful Tamil Films From The First Half Of 2018
- Post The Kaala Debacle, The Makers Of Rajinikanth's 2.0 Are In A Fix And Here Are The Details
- Kaala Box Office: Is The Rajinikanth Starrer A Hit Or A Flop?
- Kaala VS Race 3 Box Office Collections: Which Movie Won The Initial Battle?
- Kaala Box Office Collections: The Film Crosses Another Milestone!
- Kaala Box Office Collection Report: Registers a Strong Opening In Malaysia!
- Kaala Box Office Update: The Rajinikanth Starrer Becomes Third Highest Grossing Tamil Film In The US
Tamil star Rajinikanth's Kaala hit the screens on June 7, 2018 much to the delight of his die-hard fans. A crime-drama, it featured him in the role of a don and revolved around how some communities consider their land to be an integral part of their identity. Directed by film-maker Pa Ranjith, it had strong political undertones and a strong narrative. Prior to its release, producer Dhanush had said that it was a film 'for the people and about the people'. While Kaala managed to create a buzz amongst the movie buffs, it did not open on a good note at the box office. In fact, some reports even claimed that it was the lowest opener of Rajinikanth's illustrious career.
Now, Dhanush has reacted to these reports and issued an official statement regarding Kaala's box office collections.
Commenting on Kaala's box office performance, Dhanush said the film is a profitable venture for his production house and added that he is grateful to the Superstar for being a part of the film.
"We would like to dispel rumours run in few articles on #Kaala. Contrary to it, #Kaala is a successful and profitable project for Wunderbar Films and we thank Superstar for the opportunity given to us. We also thank the audience for the positive response given to the film," read the statement.
Kaala Ruled The Chennai BO
Despite Rajinikanth's controversial remarks about the Tuticorin incident, Kaala opened on a good note at Chennai box office and collected Rs 1.76 Crore on day 1. In doing so, it outperformed Mersal and became the undisputed king of the Chennai box office.
It Underperformed Elsewhere
While Kaala fared well in Chennai, it failed to leave an impact in most of the other markets. It turned out to be a damp squib in the Hindi-speaking states with the dubbed version collecting less than Rs 6 Crore over the extended opening weekend. Similarly, its collections were quite low in the Telugu states. According to some trade reports, its final distributor share was merely Rs 7 Crore.
Dhanush's statement indicates that Kaala has recovered its costs and is in the green. If this is indeed the case, then we are happy for Rajinikanth and hope his next release too does well at the box office.