- Rajinikanth's Kaala A FLOP? Dhanush Issues A Statement On The Film's Box Office Collections
- Mahindra Procures Kaala Fame Thar To Exhibit In Their Museum
- Nagarjuna Replaces Rajinikanth In Dhanush's Next Directorial Venture?
- Tovino Thomas Reveals Why He 'Apologised' While Shooting With Dhanush For Maari 2
- Rajinikanth’s Kaala: Highlights Of The Audio Launch
- Dhanush To Start Shooting Maari 2 Soon!
- BEST OF 2017: Pick Your Choice For The Best Tamil Actor Of The Year!
- Simbu's Maniratnam Project Set To Begin Soon!
- Dhanush Turns Director Yet Again!
- Dhanush & Simbu’s Emotional Speeches At Sakka Podu Podu Raja Audio Launch!
- Dhanush Has His Hands Full: The 7 Upcoming Movies Of The Actor!
- Tamil Movies That Are Commercial Failures Yet Fan Favourites
Dhanush's choice of movies have come under scanner in the last few years as he suffered back-to-back failures. The 'Kolaveri di' hitmaker choose performance-oriented roles over regular masala potboilers. In the process, he scripts, which had nothing to offer to audience. Now, the actor is returning with commercial entertainer Velayilla Pattathari aka Velai Illa Pattadhaari targeted at family audience.
Velayilla Pattathari is Dhanush's 25th movie as a hero and this reason has made it a special movie for Tamil audience. Interestingly, the actor has not chosen a big director's movie for his landmark venture but gave an opportunity to cinematographer Velraj to make his directorial debut. The movie has Arun Babu's photography and MV Rajesh Kumar's editing. The main attraction of the movie is Amala Paul, whose is having her first release post her marriage to director Vijay. Now, let us see what the film has to offer.
As the title says, the movie is about an unemployed youth. The day-to-day struggles, frustrations, pain and the joy of getting the first break have been cleanly packaged into a movie. The role is not something new to Dhanush and he has pulled off the character in his usual style. Raghuvaran (Dhanush) is a civil engineering graduate, who is constantly insulted by his father played by director Samuthikirani. Comparisons are drawn in the house with his younger sibling, who is into IT and earns handsomely. It is his mother, who console him and try to boost his confidence. And there is his childhood friend Shalini (Amala Paul), who is in love with him. Velayilla Pattathari majorly revolves around five characters.
There are not dull moments in the movie and it is Dhanush's show all the way. Continue reading the movie review on the slideshow...
The first half is engaging with some powerful one-liners backed with comedy and romantic scenes. The second half is high on emotions.
In a bid to make it a successful commercial film, the team has taken too much of liberties. In the process, the story becomes predictive in the second half. This is the biggest drawback of Velayilla Pattathari.
It is a fantastic performance by Dhanush. He performs comedy, actions and sentiment scenes with perfection. Indeed, it is a tailor-made role for him. Amala Paul in the role of Shalini suits the role perfectly.
Samuthikirani, Saranya and Vivek have done complete justice to their roles. Anirudh Ravichander shines again with his songs and background score. There was not much scope for cinematography and editing work by Rajesh is okay.
Verdict: Velayilla Pattathari is a perfect entertainer for Dhanush's fans.