Taking forward its 'Open Up Tomorrow, Today' campaign to save our planet, NDTV supported by Toyota, will be telecasting a first of its kind 24-hour nonstop programming -THE GREENATHON- urging Indian citizens to take a pledge towards a greener tomorrow. The Greenathon starts across the NDTV network on the 7th of February 2009 at 7pm. The programming will showcase a series of on-the-ground activities such as round-the-clock clean up drives in Mumbai city and Yamuna Ghats in Delhi; a 24-hour marathon run by Milind Soman; a musical extravaganza by renowned Bollywood stars and simultaneous green activities taking place across the country.
The Greenathon will be inaugurated by Dr. R.K. Pachauri, Nobel-prize winner, Chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and Director-General of TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), and Dr. Prannoy Roy, Chairman, NDTV, while the 24-hour programming will be hosted by NDTV's Vikram Chandra and Preity Zinta, who is also the campaign ambassador. VJ Cyrus Broacha will keep viewers entertained for 24 hrs with his witty humour.
The campaign aims to raise funds for TERI's 'Light a Billion Lives' project and will provide light through solar power to villages across India, that would otherwise have been without electricity for a decade or more. The funds raised during The Greenathon will go directly to TERI.
Speaking about the campaign, Dr. Prannoy Roy, Chairman, NDTV Ltd, said," Greenathon is the biggest event NDTV has ever produced. Because we believe environment abuse and resulting climate change is the single biggest danger we face today. In the 24 hours beginning 7th February 7pm, we hope people and corporates across the country will join hands with us and pledge to make a visible change in their lifestyles towards a greener tomorrow."
Sharing his views on the The Greenathon, Mr. Hiroshi Nakagawa, Managing Director, Toyota Kirloskar Motors added, "At Toyota every issue that concerns nature is our concern. The 'Open Up Tomorrow, Today' campaign that we are conducting in India in collaboration with NDTV has helped create awareness amongst the public about the environment protection and road safety. In accordance with our global policy and this campaign, Toyota in India has been conducting various eco friendly activities like waste water treatment, air pollution control, etc.
NDTV having similar responsibility towards nature and society at large has shown for the last one year what each one of us can do for ourselves and the society. I wish with all my heart that this 24 hour programming becomes a great success"
A host of events have been organized throughout the country as a part of The Greenathon:
· Cleaning up the Yamuna – The NDTV-Toyota Environment Campaign in partnership with an NGO Swechha will hold the first ever 24-hour Yamuna Clean-Up Drive on the 7th and 8th Feb '09. In a simple and effective way to bring cause of the Yamuna to the minds of citizens and the government, people from all walks of life including Delhi's Chief Minister Sheila Dixit, Activist Nafisa Ali, Designer Rina Dhaka, etc. will join hands to leave a visibly cleaner Yamuna. The campaign will conclude with a monument of waste being constructed by the volunteers. This clean up drive will start at 7pm at Qudsia Ghat, Delhi.
· Rock Concert at the Yamuna– Performances by some of the well known Indian rock bands like Parikrama, Mrigya, Soulmate, Menwhopause and Advaita amongst others, at the venue of the Yamuna drive to offer support to the cause.
· Mumbai City clean up Drive - Our campaign's brand ambassador Preity Zinta will sweep the Mumbai city clean and leave it free from plastic. Join Preity Zinta in this clean up drive from 7am onwards on 8th Feb 09 at Worli Seafront, Dadar Beach (Behind Mayor's bunglow) and Carter Road promenade.
· Marathon Man– Model, actor and our Marathon Man Milind Soman will run for 24 hours supporting our cause of saving the environment. Milind will start his run at 8:15pm from Yashraj Studios, Mumbai on 7th Feb '09.
Special programmes on environment will also be showcased:
· A musical extravaganza where some of India's most popular film stars – Bipasha Basu, Govinda, Madhuri Dixit, Dia Mirza, Arshad Warsi will perform with Shiamak Davar's troupe. Some of the country's talented singers- Sunidhi Chauhan, Shaan, Kailash Kher, Sukhwinder Singh and Palash Sen will also perform at this event. These celebrities take the green pledge on The Greenathon at 8pm on 7th Feb '09.
· In Your House – VJ Cyrus Sahukar will visit people's home in Delhi to conduct carbon audits and keep a check on how environmentally conscious they are.
· Children of the Environment Films – Short documentary films on children affected by climate changes and environmental degradation will be telecast throughout the 7th and 8th of Feb '09.
· Spoofs – NDTV's puppet team will show a series of spoofs on environmental issues and current affairs.
· Green Gadget Hour – Rajeev Makhni along with Aamir Khan, Malaika Arora and Mandira Bedi will take his viewers through some of the trendy new gadgets which are environmentally friendly at 12 noon 8th Feb 09.
· Organic Food – NDTV's food connoisseur Seema Chandra along with Ritu Dalmia will share tips on organic and healthy food that leaves the least carbon footprint. Watch this show at 1pm on 8th Feb '09.
· Morning Raga Session – A one-hour session of classical morning ragas with Ustaad Amjad Ali Khan and Hari Prasad Chaurasia will take viewers closer to the nature, on 8th Feb '09 at 7am.