- Exclusive! Priya Anand About Orange: It Is The Perfect Follow Up To Raajakumara
- Ezra Box Office Final Collections: Enters 50-Crore Club!
- AMAZING! Raajakumara Mania Starts All Over The State!
- Ezra Box Office Worldwide Collections: Enters The 40-Crore Club!
- Ezra's Stunning Performance: 5 Records Broken By The Prithviraj Starrer At The Kochi Multiplexes!
- Ezra Box Office: First Weekend (3 Days) Collections
- Producers Of Raajakumara Confirm The Audio Release Date!
- Ezra Box Office First Day Collections: The Prithviraj Starrer Makes A Bumper Opening!
- Ezra FDFS: LIVE Review From Theatre
- Ezra Movie Review: True Horror Is Here!
- Ezra: 5 Reasons To Watch The Movie!
- Ezra Official Trailer Crosses 1 Millions Views On YouTube!
Actress Priya Anand says working in upcoming Tamil rural drama Muthuramalingam was special because it gave her an opportunity to try her hand at 'silambam' aka kendo, an ancient form of martial arts with a bamboo stick.
"This year has been about doing things I don't usually do in my films. It's for the first time I'm playing a village girl in a Tamil film. I play a strong and courageous character called Vijayalakshmi, and the role required me to learn silambam," Priya told IANS.
Priya's Tryst With Village
Although this might be Priya Anand's first attempt at playing a village-based character, she isn't completely alien to village lifestyle. It is said that she grew up in her great grandmother's village.
Priya On Her Village Roots
"I have strong village roots. While growing up, I spent most of my summers with my great grandmother in her village. I still visit occasionally and I even take my staff along," the 29-year-old actress said.
Priya And Action Sequences
The Ethir Neechal actress is not a stranger when it comes to performing action sequences. In Kiruthiga-directed Vanakkam Chennai, Priya had a full-length action scene, which she had performed with elan.
Catherine's Loss Is Priya's Gain
Initially, the makers of Muthuramalingam had approached actress Catherine Tresa of Madras fame to play the female lead opposite Gautham Karthik. But since Catherine couldn't take up the project, the role was offered to Priya Anand.
Other Cast & Crew
Apart from the lead actors, the movie also stars seasoned performers like Prabhu, Napoleon, Suman, Vivek, Radharavi, Chinni Jayanth, Sukanya and Rekha. While Ilaiyaraaja has composed the tunes, UK Senthil Kumar has filmed the project.
Though the official release date is yet to be announced by the makers, sources close to the film have revealed that Muthuramalingam will hit the screen before the end of this year.
Priya Anand is currently shooting for Kootathil Oruthan, which is being helmed by TJ Gnanavel. The film has Ashok Selvan playing the lead with Samuthirakani and Anupama Kumar playing important roles. Priya is also working on a Kannada and Malayalam movie.
Directed by Rajadurai, the film also stars Gautam Karthik.
Learning silambam was an inspiring experience for Priya, and explaining why, she said: "When we started shooting, I wonder who does so much silambam. But, it was not until we reached the interiors of some of these villages in Pollachi and Theni, did we realise its importance in their lives."
"To see little kids in these villages practice silambam with passion and conviction proved what it meant to them. It was really nice to see people still holding on to their culture and tradition," she said.
Continue reading the story in the slides above: